Barn find can am

A place for current or ex-Can Am owners to natter..
Reiver

Barn find can am

Post by Reiver » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:00 pm

I had been looking for an MT500 for a while, never found one near me.I came across a can am on Ebay.brought it home needs a bit of work to get running.The fuel tank has '26GX' stencilled on it .there maybe another digit after the x but is illegible.Anybody any idea what this code Signifies?
0 x

12royal

Re: Barn find can am

Post by 12royal » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:06 pm

It should read 26GX98 :o
0 x
MT350

Raglan Bach

Post by Raglan Bach » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:18 pm

Would like to see some pictures
0 x
FYI
MT350 Harley Davidson

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:40 pm

In terms of format my understanding is that at that time the letters signify the date the bike was ordered The production date could be a few years later
If you apply under the Freedom of Information legislation you can get some information but don't expect a lot

Also note that the tank may have been swapped from another bike. Tanks may be swapped from one bike to another
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Wirralman wrote:In terms of format my understanding is that at that time the letters signify the date the bike was ordered The production date could be a few years later
If you apply under the Freedom of Information legislation you can get some information but don't expect a lot

Also note that the tank may have been swapped from another bike. Tanks may be swapped from one bike to another
There were no Can Am into service in 98 that I am aware of?
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:12 pm

Mr Shiney wrote:
Wirralman wrote:In terms of format my understanding is that at that time the letters signify the date the bike was ordered The production date could be a few years later

More the LETTERS signify the year not the numbers
0 x

350biker

Post by 350biker » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:30 pm

Surely the stencilled numbers indicate its military vehicle registration mark rather than any production or delivery aspect?
As an example my CanAm was 25HG39.

Bit of a plug for my brother Paul if you need any bits, his website is http://www.militarycan-am.co.uk. Other useful suppliers are of course around in the UK.

You can of course get the Military Vehicle History Card based on the chassis number. This tracks the bike from delivery until struck off charge. Paul can advise on how to do it and the cost involved. Worth doing as you never know it might have an interesting history.
0 x
Ian Wilkinson
Retired Refinery Safety Engineer and now light aircraft pilot!

1949 BSA Bantam (rigid)
1971 BSA A65T Thunderbolt
1980 CanAm 250
1971 BSA B50 MXR2 (work in progress!)

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:24 pm

350biker wrote:Surely the stencilled numbers indicate its military vehicle registration mark rather than any production or delivery aspect?
As an example my CanAm was 25HG39.

Bit of a plug for my brother Paul if you need any bits, his website is http://www.militarycan-am.co.uk. Other useful suppliers are of course around in the UK.

You can of course get the Military Vehicle History Card based on the chassis number. This tracks the bike from delivery until struck off charge. Paul can advise on how to do it and the cost involved. Worth doing as you never know it might have an interesting history.
Yes it does represent the military registration but that was assigned when the bike was ordered This is unlike the normal civilian registration process when a vehicle can be registered on the year of manufacture of any time thereafter
Whilst I have seen the full miltary history of a vehicle for sale at Withams showing every piece of maintenance work, that is not normally released rather information is a record of a vehicle being received in a storage depot , issue date to a military unit (s) and the date cast (ie disposed)
The procedures for obtaining military history have changed over the years Canam information used to be paper based and attracted a charge whereas More modern bikes like MT350 have information stored electronically and there is no charge
0 x

Reiver

Post by Reiver » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanks for all the replies,I cant attach photos the filesize is too large
0 x

12royal

Post by 12royal » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Mr Shiney wrote:

have a look at this one on e**y, item 262550845848
0 x
MT350