Can-am/MT350 love child.

A place for current or ex-Can Am owners to natter..
canam

Re: Can-am/MT350 love child.

Post by canam » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:58 am

Timtim wrote:Nice conversion, she should go like a rocket. I was wondering if you had the original engine I need a decent 250 bottom end. There should be loads out there but I am struggling to track one down.

Also do you know of any Can Am Bombardier forums out there? All the ones I find are either out of use or for the modern stuff.

Regards,

Tim.
Tim do you need the short stroke of the long stroke bottom end?
0 x
Over-engineering replacement parts that were under-engineered originally by the manufacturer is the whole point of having a home shop.

canam

Post by canam » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Still plugging away at the bike currently making a speedo mount its complete overkill i didn't like the normal ways of mounting it.. I have gone for a Daytona Asura Multifunction Gauge. http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/new-da ... -701-p.asp

I needed to hack some bits off the Fazer 1000 top yoke first. So stuck it on the mill i should have taken the hack saw to it first took ages.

Loads of swarf.

So time to design a mount.

Knocked up the gauge profile in a program called Fusion 360.

Rear view

Will fit in this

Rear view with the gauge in

Made a rear mounting part for it this will attach under the yoke.

Side profile

0 x
Over-engineering replacement parts that were under-engineered originally by the manufacturer is the whole point of having a home shop.

Timtim

Post by Timtim » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:12 pm

I am not sure, I didn't realize that here were different bottom ends (short & long), do you know how I can tell which type I have. what difference does it make?

Regards,

Tim.
0 x

canam

Post by canam » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:39 pm

I have had 3 bikes now that have the MX engine with 61mm stroke this is the MX5 engine from the Motocross bike.

Army Bikes should have the 57.5mm stroke. Why this is i don't know i suspect it was supply problem of the Army/TNT engines at the time. They have all had the correct rotary valves.
Timtim wrote:I am not sure, I didn't realize that here were different bottom ends (short & long), do you know how I can tell which type I have. what difference does it make?

Regards,

Tim.
0 x

Timtim

Post by Timtim » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:50 pm

I will have a measure. I suppose I can use a bit wooden dowel down the spark plug hole. Do you have any engines (complete or bottom ends) that you may want to sell. Regards,

Tim.
0 x

ZIP TIE
Location: unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by ZIP TIE » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:56 pm

Timtim wrote:I will have a measure. I suppose I can use a bit wooden dowel down the spark plug hole. Do you have any engines (complete or bottom ends) that you may want to sell. Regards,

Tim.
There was a listing on eBay for two and a half engines (three top ends and two bottom ends all orange in colour) that I stumbled across but I can't remember what it was listed under but might be worth looking
0 x

350biker

Post by 350biker » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:02 pm

May be a red herring in the context of the engine stroke question but aren't the MX motors pre-mix? The Army motor is certainly oil injection.
0 x
Ian Wilkinson
Retired Refinery Safety Engineer and now light aircraft pilot!

1949 BSA Bantam (rigid)
1971 BSA A65T Thunderbolt
1980 CanAm 250
1971 BSA B50 MXR2 (work in progress!)

canam

Post by canam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:13 am

I should have mentioned they are still injected and have the different crank.
350biker wrote:May be a red herring in the context of the engine stroke question but aren't the MX motors pre-mix? The Army motor is certainly oil injection.
0 x

canam

Post by canam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:15 am

I have at least 6 engines. They all need stripping and overhauling.

You will be better off getting yours rebuild. They are old engines now and all of them need new seals.

Minter does a nice Can-am engine rebuild after seeing MrShineys
Timtim wrote:I will have a measure. I suppose I can use a bit wooden dowel down the spark plug hole. Do you have any engines (complete or bottom ends) that you may want to sell. Regards,

Tim.
0 x

canam

Post by canam » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:44 pm

Another photo heavy update more on the speedo mount. Currently about a month behind with updates.

I have a good stock of used aluminium i have quite a few large bits of this. It's take a while to cut.

Trimming to size.

You end up with something like this.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/KZ6GVY]Image

Trimming the end to size

I now need to find the centre did a bit of marking out.

I used a centre point to align it up.

Now the fun begins.

0 x