mystery washer in can am rear hub.

A place for current or ex-Can Am owners to natter..
Dibber777

mystery washer in can am rear hub.

Post by Dibber777 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:29 am

Hi I need a little help from the can am owners. Ive just powder coated my hubs and when i took them apart i put all the bits in order on a card so they would all go back in the right place.just to be on the safe side i checked the manual and found that i had one fat washer that does not appear in any manual. it came from the rear hub, brake plate side and was sitting between the brake plate and the bearing its about 20mm od 4/5mm thick. it seems to space out the brake plate to the right position but makes the lip seal a bit redundant (not a problem as new bearings fully sealed. I just wonder why its not in the manual ? any thoughts?
0 x

Wirralman

Re: mystery washer in can am rear hub.

Post by Wirralman » Sun May 13, 2018 9:37 am

Military manuals are often updated with mods From memory the available copy of the MT350 manual has three mods

I wouldn't be surprised if your washer was found to be necessary but your version of the manual pre-dates the mod or that the mod never got into the manual but was issued on a supplementary sheet

If everything lines up and it works, I would just re-fit as it was
0 x

Dibber777

Post by Dibber777 » Mon May 14, 2018 2:38 pm

thanks, i sort of came to the same conclusion. If it ain't broke don't fix it. should have mine on the road in the next few weeks then Ill post a few pictures, see what people think. no nato green on this one. :D
0 x

250rider

Post by 250rider » Tue May 22, 2018 3:48 pm

I'm many, many miles from my IPC but I believe it is illustrated in there.

If you don't but it back the whole assembly binds/rubs/doesn't fit etc. We've had bikes come in with the brake shoes ruined as a result too.

Paul.

(at www.militarycanan-am.co.uk in Warrington)
0 x

250rider

Post by 250rider » Thu May 24, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm back with my IPC (2340-K-201-711) and the washer in question is shown on plate G3 (Front and rear brakes) and identified as Item 26. It has Part Number 746-016-005 and is described as 'Washer, flat: back plate spacer'.

Paul of www.militarycan-am.co.uk
0 x