Bike hike course creator.

Links websites of interests relating the the MT

Moderator: frenchy3

frenchy3

Bike hike course creator.

Post by frenchy3 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:50 am

For anyone that is interested in planning their own off road routes on the computer and transfering them to a GPS unit. I have found this brilliant site with a course creator which allows you to plot routes on OS and look at them in satelite view as well then easily transfer to your GPS in many formats including GPX. All i had to do to configure mine was to download Garmin communicator but you can download to your GPS or save the file to your own software programme and transfer later. The bikehike software can translate the information to Garmin protocols or similar. Well worth a look and it doesn,t seem to have a limit on how many map tiles can be viewed in a day (total by all users) as i found on many other sites.
http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope this is helpful. I was so impressed i uninstalled my aging Fugawi software as bike hike constantly updates the OS mapping and it is free but as with any resource like this i made a small donation to help them keep this website going.
Steve.
0 x
MT 350 1996 The Albatross

TDIPower

Re: Bike hike course creator.

Post by TDIPower » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:02 am

Im liking that, someone posted something like it a few years ago but i dont recall it being quite the same.
I can't find a way to remove a point if I have dragged a route. Ive just put a start/end then been dragging the route to what i want it to follow.

Pete
0 x
MT350

frenchy3

Re: Bike hike course creator.

Post by frenchy3 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:30 pm

The way i use it is to just keep clicking on a new point as if you are drawing the route from scratch.Your average gps track will be able to transfer up to 500 points without truncating it. I just tried the start and end point method with dragging the rest of the route around and found it difficult to use. I could click on the drag point and hold and drag it back to correct the mistake but could not remove the drag point completely if that makes any sense.
the other site that was quite like this was wheres the path but it had a very limited map tile allowance and by early afternoon the tile allowance as allocated by the ordnance survey was used up and it used to show"map tile not available" quite a lot. I have found bike hike the best free mapping programme available.
Steve.
0 x
MT 350 1996 The Albatross