Another MT350 restoration complete. Well almost......

Show us what you're working on (MT or very very closelyy related subjects only please).
martin shaw

Another MT350 restoration complete. Well almost......

Post by martin shaw » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi Chaps

After nearly 200 hours of work, my MT350 is almost there (pictures to follow). The last jobs are the cam belt and clutch.

I followed one of the tutorials using the crankshaft locking bolt, but when its in, the timing marks are way off on the top pully, by maybe 30 degrees. I made sure the bike was running before I started the restoration and I thought it was running and pulling ok, but I'm puzzled if the timing was this much out, how it ran at all. I had a few goes with the locking bolt but decided to leave it, post on here for ideas and have a go with a fresh pair of eyes tomorrow.

Any pointers and maybe a picture of the crankshaft indent where the locking bolt goes just to make sure I'm in the right place would be most welcome.

Thanks

Martin
0 x

deadgrass.

Re: Another MT350 restoration complete. Well almost......

Post by deadgrass. » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:49 pm

hi martin,
you can check you are at tdc by looking through the inspection holes on the flywheel side [2nd timing mark],
locking bolt should line up then,
if you are locking the engine at the correct place and timing marks are out its possible the top pulley is not fitted on the lined up marks on the cam.

dave.
0 x
born to be waserk
thank god for atheism.
sometimes your front legs need to be stiff and the fur on your arse vertical.

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:14 pm

I assume the mark on the bottom pulley outer flange is at 12 o'clock (ish) and the locking bolt it's tapered end is in its slot. By shining a torch through you can turn the engine manually ( you can remove the spark plug to make that easier ) If your crank locking bolt is in its correct place but the timing mark on the bottom pulley is not at 12 o'clock, has it been fitted correctly? The normal part had 4 keyways

The top pulley only has one keyway so can't be put on incorrectly and should also point at 12 o'clock (ish)
You then slide the belt on and re-check.

The engine timing with the standard cam is forgiving in that the engine will still run when one or even two teeth out. I have seen a cambelt fitting tutorial showing the bottom pulley upside down, the engine will still run but not optimally

Assuming you have a standard camshaft you can't do any damage to the engine of the belt is incorrectly fitted

You must let us know how you get on ! Good luck
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Wirralman wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:14 pm
The top pulley only has one keyway so can't be put on incorrectly.

?

1 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:54 pm

lardmarc wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:26 pm
Wirralman wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:14 pm
The top pulley only has one keyway so can't be put on incorrectly.

?

you're quite right, no keyways on top pulley, I should have said just one reference mark to line up
1 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:39 am

All good advice above Martin,

If you're still having problems give us a call at Sportax..
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

martin shaw

Post by martin shaw » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:02 pm

Update

I was definitely right in saying the timing was out as per the manual. I removed the spark plug to make sure the piston was at the top of the stroke and valve covers to see the valves were all closed and set the locking bolt at TDC. The top pully is more like 1 o'clock rather than 11 o'clock where it would be when a straight edge is put through both top and bottom pulley centres. When it goes back together, I'll do it by the manual and see what happens. Mind you, I marked everything up as it was just in case I have to put it back!

Just as an aside, the clutch basket has a little grooving and the friction plates are worn, so while its stripped down to this level, I'll replace everything I can. One thing I did notice was that all eight of the clutch plates were the same thickness (1.19mm in my case, should be 1.25mm), where the manual says the first should be 1.5mm.

I'll keep you up to date with these final stages of the restoration.

Martin
1 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:49 pm

I'm pretty sure I have a new MT350 clutch pack, friction and steel plates. Also a new clutch basket. Drop me a pm if you're interested
0 x

martin shaw

Post by martin shaw » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Thanks Wirralman

(Just in case the PM doesn't work)

Thanks for the offer, its much appreciated, but I have most of the bits. I was lucky enough to buy a job lot of spares from a guy on ebay. Apparently, they came from an Army Enduro team so I'm ok with most consumable items. Likewise, if there is anything you (or anyone else for that matter!) need, please contact me, I might be able to return the offer.

Martin
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:42 pm

here is a photo of an engine I opened up yesterday , the indent is very prominent . This is a 500 engine, the 350 looks the same
If you use a proper crankshaft locking bolt , with a tapered end as sold by MT parts supplies it should screw fairly easily into place at the correct point , and engine impossible to turn with that in
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project