Mt 500 basket case rebuild

Show us what you're working on (MT or very very closelyy related subjects only please).
bambi68

Mt 500 basket case rebuild

Post by bambi68 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:17 pm

As I'm a newbie here I have acquired an 1987mt500 in a pile of bits, the frame had been powder coated and the engine had been placed in the frame.

After checking a few bits of work carried out I could not determine what was what, so I am now going over each section checking rechecking and adjusting etc where necessary.

Rear suspension refitted new bearing, spacer and bush fitted, ( probably needs another bearing at least possible two.)
Front brake pinion was seized in the drum, cleaned greased all good, ( still wants a new cable in time but it is ok for now)
Cam belt loose, crank locking bolt made crank locked belt off casing off, clutch case off cleaned degreased and repainted.

This build is being done on a very tight budget so not a cheque book rebuild, but not a cut corner one either.

The main idea is to rebuild it find what is right, correct replace what is wrong damaged worn out when I can. If needs be I will build it make a note of worn parts and replace later.

My next bits will be a set of oil pipes as the ones fitted have gone hard and split.

Here are the photos from when I got it. (More to follow)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (110.58 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (106.86 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (107.47 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
0 x

bth2bth2

Re: Mt 500 basket case rebuild

Post by bth2bth2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:17 am

that front sprocket will be a bugga to get off. that might be an engine strip. :cry:
oil lines....buy a length of 10mm bore(I think) oil pipe from your local car spare store or better still your local hydraulics factors. cut to length and you can either fit with "o" clips (better) or jubilee clips (adequate).

brian
0 x
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.............
CBR 900rrs , zrx1100.in green gone but not forgotten.....mt500 in green ,stolen and abused but still alive.......cos one day , all bikes will be this slowwwwwww

twmtomos1

Post by twmtomos1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:12 am

the sprocket looks good ,id get the engine running and see how it goes and then think of getting it off when you need a new sprocket ,but you can get very thin cutting discs which could cut the weld out ,good luck
1 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:29 pm

If you want a complete set of Stainless fasteners, P.I.Staker (George) does a complete set. If you don't know if you have them all, or need to replace many of them, well worth getting the set.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

bambi68

Post by bambi68 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:59 pm

cheers folks, i bought a can of black engine paint to spray the clutch cover whilst it was off the engine, sprayed dried grey, sprayed another coat still grey, after 4 coats of black engine paint its still grey and looks a bugger, new tin of black engine paint bought, will repaint when that arrives. like the idea of full stainless set of fasteners. (wife being mean says kids need food and clothes and the bike can wait!!) honestly kids want want want. but i neeeeeed my bits. :lol:
0 x

TDIPower

Post by TDIPower » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Check what it says on the can about the engine paint, you may find it need to be baked (got hot to a given temp for a period of time) this hardens the paint and normally turns black when this is done. I used BBQ paint on the 350s exhaust and it went grey, just ran the blow lamp into the pipes to harden and turn black. Ive used the stuff on engines in the past, the paint can almost be rubbed off by hand until baked.

Pete
0 x
MT350

bambi68

Post by bambi68 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi Cheers for the info, i am well away from running the bike up so i stuck the case in the oven for 30 mins at 50oC it remained grey, so the new paint arrived brush on, so cleaned the casings painted on looked crap brush marks in it, cleaned it down repainted into the oven still looked crap, so i have now bought a touch up gun and will spray paint the buggers when i get chance, the mg is playing at silly buggers as well, hey ho.
0 x

ZIP TIE
Location: unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy

Post by ZIP TIE » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:49 pm

If you use a mini roller instead of a brush you get a much better finish, obviously you'll still need to use a brush for the nooks and crannies.
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Looking good. Keep up the good work , another MT getting back together
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

bambi68

Post by bambi68 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:20 pm

I finally got a bit of time to work on the mt. oh dear I wish I hadn't bothered. I fitted the chain and set the tension, spun the wheel the chain went loose tight loose tight. So I stuck a dial gauge on the shaft ( all good .22 of a mm run out) checked the gear 5mm run out its almost oval when it runs. Bearing in mind this gear has been welded on screwing the oil seal in the process I ground the weld down to reveal this. Hopefully a photo
Attachments
IMG_4595.JPG
Stripped splines
IMG_4595.JPG (52.56 KiB) Viewed 884 times
0 x