Ready to start work!

Show us what you're working on (MT or very very closelyy related subjects only please).
Rodders

Ready to start work!

Post by Rodders » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Hi all.

I wasn't sure of the etiquette, start a new thread or resurrect my old one?

So I started a new one.....

Anyway, first off, a massive thanks for the warm welcome. Was quite overwhelmed by the shear volume of offers of help, experience and ride outs once my lekky start 500 is finished.

I've had nothing but set backs with other projects taking 10X longer to finish than they should (you all know the score) but finally the last job was done on the little Yam I was building and it's all MOT'd and on the road.

I can now start on the MT! (At last)

Just to recap, it is an MT500 with an electric start conversion. I've not yet attempted to fire it up because the plan was to change the oil and flush the fuel tank first.

Fuel, done.

Oil.....during the conversion process the primary filter from the tank has been removed, is this a problem? Personally I would like to re-instate it as I think more filtration is better but its quite an awkward shape to make work. Is the orientation of the filter i.e, which way up it goes important? Also, does it's height relative to its original position matter? I can make a bracket to fit else where now a problem and can cut/re-weld the bracket to suit if I must.

That issue aside, the thing that is really worrying me is that when I removed the dip stick (not me, the one in the frame) it showed no sign of oil at all. Bearing in mind that this bike has sat for a good 5 or 6 years without being started could the oils have drained away somewhere in the depths of the engine?

The engine turns over nice and smoothly by hand/foot and owner, who's honest I trust, assured me that it was an excellent runner when laid up and he was the sort to have things looked after mechanically (if not cosmetically) fairly meticulously.

I have an engine filer and the manual to give me the quantity required so I'm good to go but would appreciate some input on the oil issue before I got any further?

Also wondering if there is a preferred oil brand/grade as opposed to to the 15W50 mentioned in the manual?

Thanks all for your time,

Rodders.
0 x

Wirralman

Re: Ready to start work!

Post by Wirralman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:29 pm

About your primary oil filter, many filters have been inspected and found to be totally clear. That said I removed one and found swarf, however the engine had been changed so I can only assume some catastrophic failure had occured at some point and a new engine fitted without the primary filter being cleaned Subsequent inspections found the filter to be clear

The engine should in theory be dry sump however if you remove the oil filter then shine a torch in the housing you will see a large screw head If you unscrew this you will find a valve that should stop oil draining into the sump However these seals are not perfect and over time oil leaks around them A rookie mistake is to assume that the engine is low on oil and to top it up, start the engine then find oil goes everywhere because the scavenge pump returns oil from the sump to a point just below the filler cap

Many run semi-synthetic or some who race fully synthetic oil , the fear is that more sophisticated oil will lead to clutch slip but owners happily run semi Others use cheap multi-grade oil and change it frequently
0 x

AWJD

Post by AWJD » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:10 pm

I fitted a replacement engine earlier this year and it wet sumps if left long enough. I find it's best to unscrew the drain plug on the RHS of the engine and then drain the oil into a clean container and see how much there was in the sump. If the oil is still in good condition then pour it back into the tank via the filler cap, otherwise give it a complete oil and filter change. When I do this on my MT, I normally find the oil ends up at the correct level on the dipstick..
0 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 (Fun Bike)
1996 Harley MT350e
1987 Armstrong MT560e
1997 Honda XR250R Ex-Army
1966 BSA B40WD
1971 BSA B50T
1973 BSA B50MX

2007 Suzuki GSX1400 (Workhorse)

Rodders

Post by Rodders » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:55 pm

Grateful both for the tips. At least I've I've got a job for tomorrow night!
At the risk of sounding thick, oil grades confuse me so I usually stick exactly to what a specific manual says. In this case my local Halfords, don't have 15w50 so im not really sure what to go for. Trouble with working all hours Halfords are the only ones open when I get home!!
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:51 pm

If Minter who is THE expert on MTs used 15W/40 on a rebuild then you can be sure that will do the job
Search forum on the word 'grade' to find more posts
As for the numbers I am sure you can Google to find more detail
0 x

Rodders

Post by Rodders » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:22 pm

10w40 it is then. I'd searched for oil change and got no where. Didn't think to search for grade!
I've decided I'd like to reinstate the primary filter as the frame bung had a small amount of particles on the magnet. I'll flush, run and keep checking to make sure there's nothing untoward happening. I've got the original in the box of Spares so I'm thinking of a bracket on the back of the crash bars if I can protect it suitably or an aftermarket unit at the rear of the cylinder.
Cheers.
0 x

Rodders

Post by Rodders » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:45 pm

So not wishing to labour the question, but after reading the thread on Halfords oil, is it just normal mineral petrol and diesel engine oil? Not really motorcycle specific?
0 x

bth2bth2

Post by bth2bth2 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:30 pm

just use a mineral oil. I have removed my primary filter thousands of miles ago and have not had any issues. the filter is quite course and will only catch the larger particles. if you have a sound motor leave it off.

brian
0 x
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.............
CBR 900rrs , zrx1100.in green gone but not forgotten.....mt500 in green ,stolen and abused but still alive.......cos one day , all bikes will be this slowwwwwww

Rodders

Post by Rodders » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:26 pm

bth2bth2 wrote:just use a mineral oil. I have removed my primary filter thousands of miles ago and have not had any issues. the filter is quite course and will only catch the larger particles. if you have a sound motor leave it off.

brian
Cheers Brian, I managed to get some oil today. It's a garage night so I'll hook up a battery and see what happen! You never know, if I'm lucky she might get a blast across the field tomorrow?
0 x