Soon to be owner of Mt500 with electric start conversion.

Show us what you're working on (MT or very very closelyy related subjects only please).
Rodders

Re: Soon to be owner of Mt500 with electric start conversion.

Post by Rodders » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:18 pm

Mr Shiney wrote:Give me a shout and I will show you our green lanes in north Northants and Leicestershire border.
A cracking offer, as soon as I'm up and running I'll take you up on the offer thanks.
0 x

Franc

Post by Franc » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Rodders wrote:
Franc wrote:Hi Rodders, I also have an Armstrong 500 fitted with an electric start, I removed the battery tray and fitted a gel battery in the space but turned it on its end.
You can then either cable tie it in place, or make up a strap, but it does mean that you don't have to customise your frame. ;)
Hi Franc.

I've been looking at batteries this morning, I usually source mine from Tayna but if you have any recommendations I'd be glad to hear them?
There are some proper Gucci lithium ion ones about now so I might try one of these for a change.

Rodders.
I use a yellow Motobatt fiberglass Matt gel battery, I've used them in all my bikes over the years and they have been excellent, long lasting, and very robust.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Minter wrote:Welcome to the forum Rodders.

Ive done a fair few over the last 5 years so if yours was done during this time then yes it would have been done by me 'Modern Sportax!' Up to 2008 it would have been 'Older Sportax!'
:D
Not necessarily so A certain Mr Low did a few 500 electric start conversions as I recall and refined his approach as he did them
Can't remember if Throb also had a crack at it a long time ago
More recently I think Mr Shiney did a few also
So I don't think 'it would have been Older Sportax' is entirely accurate
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:42 pm

I have done quite a few in the last couple of years. Probably around 10 I guess so it's becoming a very popular mod.
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:29 pm

Peter Low wrote:I have done 4. My original 640 recntly featured on this forum. Michael's bike. and 2 others which I do not know where they are.
i got one :D
0 x
Africa twin 750
honda hornet 600 now sold :(
mt 500
mt560e
can am
divorce coming soon

Minter

Post by Minter » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:47 am

Wirralman wrote:
Minter wrote:Welcome to the forum Rodders.

Ive done a fair few over the last 5 years so if yours was done during this time then yes it would have been done by me 'Modern Sportax!' Up to 2008 it would have been 'Older Sportax!'
:D
Not necessarily so A certain Mr Low did a few 500 electric start conversions as I recall and refined his approach as he did them
Can't remember if Throb also had a crack at it a long time ago
More recently I think Mr Shiney did a few also
So I don't think 'it would have been Older Sportax' is entirely accurate
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Timelord

Post by Timelord » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:55 pm

Gel batteries hold their charge well, have a very long lifespan and don't spill. ** Cranking amps is ok **
AGM batteries hold their charge well, have a long lifespan and don't spill. ** Cranking amps is very good **
Standard Lead Acid batteries hold their charge ok when newish, have a shorter life, especially with being run down regular and do spill. **Cranking amps is as good as AGM if in good condition**

From this we can deduce that for a battery of equivalent dimensions, then the AGM battery performs better to start an electric start vehicle and has superior allround performance to a standard Lead Acid battery. This also means that a smaller AGM battery will give the same cranking amps as a larger GEL battery. Therefore an AGM battery of an adequate number of cranking amps could be fitted in a smaller available space in the MT frame .... or the opposite, that a given space in the frame will supply more cranking amps from an AGM battery than a GEL battery.
The main benefit of a gel battery is the longer lifespan and the fact it can be mounted in any position if necessary.

(I believe AGM is cheaper than the equivalent dimensioned - perceived premium GEL batteries)

That is my understanding of it anyway.
Regards, TL
0 x

Rodders

Post by Rodders » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:42 am

Sorry for the delayed reply, but thanks for all the responses.
Well, she's here. Finally landing at her new home on Sunday!
Just got to finish my little bobber project and then work can commence.

Thanks for the info with regard to the batteries, I'll start a list this weekend of things to buy taking into account the plethora of spares that I got with the bike.

Talking again with the former owner, it turns out that the electric conversion was done by a friend of his who apparently worked at Rolls Royce and was an engineer of some repute. He certainly made a nice job of the frame. The parts (or at least some) were sourced from Sportax, but many moons ago.

Not decided if I should do a full bare metal strip and powder coat or leave the patina as is. The original green paint is evident under a coat of khaki that has then been over painted (rather crudely) with Nato Green. Tells a story I suppose....... Being the third owner since it's release, the previous pwner told me he never put a coat of paint on it and the first owner wouldn't admit to the poor paint job either so maybe the different colours were slapped on "in the field" so to speak to suit where it was sent? Who knows?

To be honest, its in my nature to want it to look nice and new but in reality I want this to be a bike I don't have to worry about scratching so I'm thinking of leaving her as she is for now. Need to find a set of panniers and a rifle case though for my camping gear!
I'm fairly happy that whatever her history "in service" she has had an easy life of late, running on a reconditioned engine sourced direct from CCM. I even have the box it came in with the serial number on the side! I'll probably recondition the original engine myself at some point over winter to keep as a spare.
Cant attach a pic yet, error message "file too large". Will upload in due course.

Ta for now,

Rodders.
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:14 am

Pop over and have a cup of tea and a chat. I will try and drag Pewter out of his coffin to come over at the same time.
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!

Rodders

Post by Rodders » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:26 pm

Mr Shiney wrote:Pop over and have a cup of tea and a chat. I will try and drag Pewter out of his coffin to come over at the same time.
Cheers, Will do.

I'll give you a shout as soon as I can and have a blast over.
0 x