Soon to be owner of Mt500 with electric start conversion.

Show us what you're working on (MT or very very closelyy related subjects only please).
Rodders

Soon to be owner of Mt500 with electric start conversion.

Post by Rodders » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Afternoon all,

First proper post and starting to feel like one of the gang because my new MT500 should be a done deal......
She (I've not named her yet, all my vehicles have names, sad I know!) should be here next week all being well. Fairly standard as far as I can tell but has been fitted with an electric start conversion that I am told by the previous owner was kit offered by Sportax, I suppose first question is does anyone know of the this kit or what exactly it consisted of and are parts still available? This was done on a reconditioned engine apparently and although the logbook needs the engine details changing the old engine ( was a runner I believe) is included with the sale along with other spares.

She has sat for some years so needs new tyres etc. and a general recommission but is there anything in particular that I should do for this old girl before I even attempt to start it?

Cheers,

Rodders
0 x

Bonnielad
Global Moderator

Re: Soon to be owner of Mt500 with electric start conversion.

Post by Bonnielad » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:35 pm

The electric start conversion isn't really a 'kit' as such. There is a mod to do to the frame to make room for the starter motor (not simple because that part of the downtube holds the oil and has mounting tubes running through it), the we cannibalise the bottom end out of a 350 and fit the necessary bits to the 500. So apart from the frame mod, all the parts used are standard MT, generally reliable and a definite improvement. Oh, one other thing; you might find your battery box has been modified to fit a larger battery as the original smaller 500 one wasn't mean to crank the engine.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the bike. See you at a meeting real soon.
0 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 "Black Bomber"'
1964 Triumph Tiger Cub TR20 Trials Works Replica
2013 BMW F800GS Adventure

Minter

Post by Minter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:37 pm

Welcome to the forum Rodders.

I (Sportax) advise potential e start conversion customers to get hold of an old 350e engine and use that as the donor as all the engine parts new cost over £2000.

Ive done a fair few over the last 5 years so if yours was done during this time then yes it would have been done by me 'Modern Sportax!' Up to 2008 it would have been 'Older Sportax!'

If you wanted to test run the engine we have a test bed to check them out on which youre more than welcome to pop round and see if yours is still ok.

:D
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Rodders

Post by Rodders » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:12 pm

Bonnielad wrote:The electric start conversion isn't really a 'kit' as such. There is a mod to do to the frame to make room for the starter motor (not simple because that part of the downtube holds the oil and has mounting tubes running through it), the we cannibalise the bottom end out of a 350 and fit the necessary bits to the 500. So apart from the frame mod, all the parts used are standard MT, generally reliable and a definite improvement. Oh, one other thing; you might find your battery box has been modified to fit a larger battery as the original smaller 500 one wasn't mean to crank the engine.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the bike. See you at a meeting real soon.
I like what I hear, glad that all the parts would still be available. The owner pointed out to me that the frame was modified, looked a neat job but ill post pics when its delivered and I'll see what everyone has to say. The battery box is standard, one of the things the current owner said was that I would need to make provision for a bigger battery. I've got another little project to finish first (fingers crossed MOT this weekend) before I start on this but hopefully will be able to get to a few meets. I did the " Taffy Dakar" rally this year for the first time and was hooked so this MT500 will hopefully be my trusty tool for this type of event and a few green lanes. The most "off-road" type bike I have at the moment is a Triumph Tiger but is far too heavy for me off-road!
0 x

Rodders

Post by Rodders » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Minter wrote:Welcome to the forum Rodders.

I (Sportax) advise potential e start conversion customers to get hold of an old 350e engine and use that as the donor as all the engine parts new cost over £2000.

Ive done a fair few over the last 5 years so if yours was done during this time then yes it would have been done by me 'Modern Sportax!' Up to 2008 it would have been 'Older Sportax!'

If you wanted to test run the engine we have a test bed to check them out on which youre more than welcome to pop round and see if yours is still ok.

:D
Hi Minter,

To be honest I'm not sure which route the previous owner went down but id be fairly confident that it was "Older Sportax", this bike has sat for many years so I'm lead to believe.
Very kind of you to offer the test bed.
I'll certainly be in touch in due course for a full set of service items, timing belt and anything else that looks suspect when I get a real good look round it. I intend to rebuild the original engine so I've always got a spare (although I hope I'd never have to use it!) or put the electric start bits on the original engine so I don't have to mess about changing numbers with the DVLA. Want to be on the road ASAP.

Cheers,
Rodders.
0 x

Pewter

Post by Pewter » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi Rodders,

Welcome to the forum and MT ownership. I only wanted one but now have four for some reason. I'm in Leicestershire too but
most owners seem to live miles from me, other than Mr Shiney and I think there is a chap in Keyham.

Mike
0 x

Franc

Post by Franc » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:55 pm

Hi Rodders, I also have an Armstrong 500 fitted with an electric start, I removed the battery tray and fitted a gel battery in the space but turned it on its end.
You can then either cable tie it in place, or make up a strap, but it does mean that you don't have to customise your frame. ;)
0 x

Rodders

Post by Rodders » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:56 am

Pewter wrote:Hi Rodders,

Welcome to the forum and MT ownership. I only wanted one but now have four for some reason. I'm in Leicestershire too but
most owners seem to live miles from me, other than Mr Shiney and I think there is a chap in Keyham.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Not far from me then, I'm in Loughborough. The bug must have really bitten if you've got four. Then again that's bikes for you!
Are there any decent green lanes around the Melton area? I tend to stick around the area south-west of Loughborough but don't know too many.

Rodders.
0 x

Rodders

Post by Rodders » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:02 pm

Franc wrote:Hi Rodders, I also have an Armstrong 500 fitted with an electric start, I removed the battery tray and fitted a gel battery in the space but turned it on its end.
You can then either cable tie it in place, or make up a strap, but it does mean that you don't have to customise your frame. ;)
Hi Franc.

I've been looking at batteries this morning, I usually source mine from Tayna but if you have any recommendations I'd be glad to hear them?
There are some proper Gucci lithium ion ones about now so I might try one of these for a change.

Rodders.
0 x

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:54 pm

Give me a shout and I will show you our green lanes in north Northants and Leicestershire border.
0 x