My New Aquisition

Show us what you're working on (MT or very very closelyy related subjects only please).
2000AD

My New Aquisition

Post by 2000AD » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:28 am

Just aquired an MT 500 from a bloke over in Wales. Shes a bit rough around the edges, the electrics seem a bit hit and miss (most switches seem to have backward operation!) the kickstarter seems as if it only operates on the second two thirds of its stroke and it has been painted just about every shade of IRR paint that might have been made available to the armed forces; and a few other shades besides and the resident garage mice have evidently made themselves at home in the canvas panniers!

Having said that, she starts quite readily; even without using the decompressor (which is currently disconnected) and the silencer is loud enough to make your ears bleed! That will need changing cos I reckon it would scare even my completely stone deaf elderly neighbours into cardiac arrest on an early morning start up!

The first steps in ownership will be an appointment with a jet wash and a wire brush to get ride of the worst of the paint (Its so flakey that I think most of it will come off with the jet wash back to the factory original finish!) A good check over and adjust of all the bits and gubbins that need checking, some fresh oil and filters and all the necessary lubrication points and then we'll see where we are!

Happy days!
0 x

Green Goblin

Re: My New Aquisition

Post by Green Goblin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:40 am

Is it a real white one?
0 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:26 pm

2000AD wrote:she starts quite readily
You are onto a winner there, but be careful with the jet wash, there have been a few cases of the use of these stopping the bike running.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

2000AD

Post by 2000AD » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Derrick wrote:
2000AD wrote:she starts quite readily
You are onto a winner there, but be careful with the jet wash, there have been a few cases of the use of these stopping the bike running.
I'm not surprised, the electrical connections are not the best protected!

In answer to the previous question re colour, no, I'm afraid she does not seem to have started life as a natural blonde/albino! I think the white and black paintwork on bodywork and frame is more to do with someone being a bit trigger happy with the spraycans in previous ownership!

The plan at present is most likely to return her over a period of time to something close to the original colour scheme (if you can call all over olive drab a colour scheme, or even call olive drab a colour!!)

There is also something of the "trigger's broom" about her having been released from the captivity of the MOD with one frame number registered against the MOD release papers and the DVLA issued registration number on first registration and her having a replacement frame at one point in her life and then a replacement engine later on!

Hey ho, all appears correct on the V5 so I am not worried about it.
0 x

2000AD

Post by 2000AD » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:01 pm

Well, its been over a year since aquiring this one and I'm nearly at the end of the job. The only things that need sorting now are to replace the broken/inop rear brake switch, slop in some fuel and see if she starts!
Andy
0 x

IvorD

Post by IvorD » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:18 pm

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread. I did complete the bike in the end and get her MOT'd

Mods done since completion are to upgrade the headlamps to run via a relay and to fit a flywheel weight that was supplied by one of the MT club members.

Both definitley worthwhile mods, but being a bit ill of late and having some mobility problems due to a dodgy ankle that is in the process of being fixed I've not been riding much lately.

Hope to be out and about soon though B-)

Andy
0 x

Raglan Bach

Post by Raglan Bach » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:59 pm

The bike is looking great. My mt350 was coated in layers of house paint when I got it. I got most of it off with paint stripper. the motor is caked with Matt black probably bbq paint. Did you strip any paint off you motor?
0 x
FYI
MT350 Harley Davidson

IvorD

Post by IvorD » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:59 am

No, I didn't strip any paint from the engine itself, gave it a good degrease and clean up and then masked off some essential bits and sprayed the engine using VHT paint, (cant remember what brand I used). Its given it a fairly matt finish rather than the more glossy finish of the original powder coat.

Andy
0 x

IvorD

Post by IvorD » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:09 am

The plastics have been taken back to the plain plastic by using nitromors and then being given a thorough wash in clean water. Once dried all I do to keep them looking good is a wipe over with a rag and some WD40 every now and then. The rest of the metal work has been rubbed down, although not back to the bare metal; just to a stable and fairly smooth finish. I then gave everything a good go over with some Landrover Cotswold Green prior to reassembly; apologies to the purists, however, this was purely a decision based on the available budget I had at the time and that I had found a stock of several tins of discounted discontinued paint at my local auto factor! It is my intention to use the bike while I complete a few other projects that are on the go; a 6 speed conversion on a triumph adventurer and a rebuild of a Matchless G80 rotax that has been on the back burner while the kids grow up. Once those are done and I have put a few scrapes and bashes into the Armstrong I hope to then do a proper job and strip it back down and do a proper job of powder coating in the correct colours.

Andy
0 x