Greeny

Show us what you're working on (MT or very very closelyy related subjects only please).
Minter

Re: Greeny

Post by Minter » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:29 pm

Stick with one 'family' of clutch components! Interbreeding causes problems!
1 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

JG74

Post by JG74 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:05 pm

hi Minter :)

its ok I am not changing anything between engines! I am using the other one as a reference only. :D

Having just spoken to LMS, it seems both of my clutches pre-date the thicker plate and therefore, 8F and 7D is right (was right when built)

Obviously these clutches were updated, and the thicker extra plate added to the outer end of the stack - hence the confusion.. does that sound right?

I certainly am not missing anything, this is how things came apart.
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:33 pm

Minter wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:29 pm
Stick with one 'family' of clutch components! Interbreeding causes problems!
The clutch on my black one is the sweetest clutch I've had. It got made up out of a selection of driven and friction plates from a 'family' of about 30 plates that I had laying about that were all within tolerance.

I might just be lucky. ;)
JG74 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:05 pm
Obviously these clutches were updated, and the thicker extra plate added to the outer end of the stack?
I have no idea what happened on later versions, I only have original Armstrong manuals,
1 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:00 pm

I think someone said that there were 4 different versions in the MT500 over its production span
1 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:35 pm

Wirralman wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:00 pm
I think someone said that there were 4 different versions in the MT500 over its production span

I've used the same manual for all of my Armstrongs including the 604/636 conversions. I've got motors from 'B' reg to 'E' reg, manual and same parts list has worked for all of them. Bin the the early bakelite friction plates, check driven plates are within tolerance and the clutch works. I haven't had a clutch fail on me yet, the 636 took a bit of fettling to stop it slipping in top but otherwise they're reliable.
1 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Minter

Post by Minter » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:04 pm

JG74 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:05 pm
hi Minter :)

its ok I am not changing anything between engines! I am using the other one as a reference only. :D

Having just spoken to LMS, it seems both of my clutches pre-date the thicker plate and therefore, 8F and 7D is right (was right when built)

Obviously these clutches were updated, and the thicker extra plate added to the outer end of the stack - hence the confusion.. does that sound right?

I certainly am not missing anything, this is how things came apart.
The 1.5mm thick plate is used on all 348mil engines with 7x 1.25mm plates and 8 Friction plates of 2.6mm. You need the clutch pack thickness to be between 31 and 31.5mm for a sweet clutch..

Hope that helps

Gary Sportax
1 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
MTRC Shopkeeper

JG74

Post by JG74 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:46 pm

thanks Gary

my frictions are around 2.45 to 2.5 which is above the minimum in the book.

I will replace the clutch if this engine actually works, during a warm summer weekend.. right now I think I had better get it back together and see what happens when I kick it over.. spent far to much time faffing :twisted:

talk about dragging my feet! - its all good practice for when I build the correct engine! the black one..
1 x

JG74

MT500 Carb / airbox offset

Post by JG74 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:55 am

hi all, is it normal for the carb to be a fair bit offset from the airbox? I have no pics, everything is where it should be located (the engine, carb and airbox!) and not only are they quite close together, the carb is quite vertically offset?

I think I remember it was like this when it came apart 4 months ago.. maybe just a design compromise..

John
0 x

Minter

Re: MT500 Carb / airbox offset

Post by Minter » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:16 pm

JG74 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:55 am
hi all, is it normal for the carb to be a fair bit offset from the airbox? I have no pics, everything is where it should be located (the engine, carb and airbox!) and not only are they quite close together, the carb is quite vertically offset?

I think I remember it was like this when it came apart 4 months ago.. maybe just a design compromise..

John
Completely normal!!
1 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
MTRC Shopkeeper