150 mile round trip - sunday bimble

Arrange & discuss your meetings/ ride outs here

Moderator: Event Co-ordinator

Old Diggerdogk9

150 mile round trip - sunday bimble

Post by Old Diggerdogk9 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi folks,

After a forced day off to prevent madness, I thought it was about time to have a half decent ride ride out to showdown the engine rebuild from sportax.

So Cumbria to North Yorkshire, (Appleby - Pateley Bridge)

So with the forecast checked, heavy rain and chance of thunder early evening :!: of I set, the route going was to be a boring ride A66 to Scotch corner then A1 to Ripon , Ripon to Pateley Bridge.

Now if anyone regularly travels this road you have to be pretty switched on and be prepared for anything I think we are up-to double figure fatalities this year all ready! So take care! Today the big issue was the wind, a strong crosswind in fact with gusts that pushed you a couple of feet towards the hard shoulder if you were lucky or the verge on single lanes! Now the reason for going this way was to get a fuel consumption value after the RE build

So with strong crosswind this worked out at 66mpg this based on a avg speed of 55mph on A roads.

Not sure how this performs to other people's machines but I'm more than happy with the results, prior to the rebuild I was getting around 58mph with much poorer performance.

So with the sky's darkening I reached the top of the high street in Pateley only to find it as packed wall to wall with people some walking in uniform, old jeeps, shops decked out with black outs at the windows etc ...turns out it was a 1940s weekend ! Lots to see and take in makes you think how we underestimate what we have nowadays!

Any way after a brew and a catch up with a couple of oldies from the town ..time to head home different route so Pateley bridge to ripon, ripon to hawes , hawes to Kirkby Steven n back to appleby.

This has got to be one of my favorites in the York's dales what a road , miles of sweeping corners ups n downs , views to die for (some have) and little traffic !

There's always a but .... remember them dark clouds? Mrrm 2hrs of monsoon rain 1damp foot and the other boot slowly filling from a leak in my knee lol then the red tell tale light comes on in the dash, bike cuts out, fags are wet lighter won't spark, wd40 in shed at home and a helmet visor that's as steamed up as your car after its parked in a layby when your 17!

Oh the joys of owning a mt350
Bloody good day out engine getting better and better many thanks to Gary at sportax. Now just need to sort some water proofing on the electrics me thinks!
0 x

Wirralman

Re: 150 mile round trip - sunday bimble

Post by Wirralman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:15 am

WD40 , vital bit of kit !
66mpg on those roads i.e. up hill and down dale, dodging the idiots that are out to get you, sounds fair for an MT350 and standard Keihin and T 63 but you don't say which engine /carb you have nor tyres
Sounds like you had a good day, I'm jealous !
0 x

bth2bth2

Post by bth2bth2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:30 am

yep i know them roads well..especially on a sunny day :D
simple waterproofing.....dont take it out if it looks like rain.
0 x
Slowly slowly catchy monkey.............
CBR 900rrs , zrx1100.in green gone but not forgotten.....mt500 in green ,stolen and abused but still alive.......cos one day , all bikes will be this slowwwwwww

highland al

Post by highland al » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:09 pm

It's a small world, I past you on the 66 at warcop Sunday afternoon.
Hal
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:20 pm

highland al wrote:It's a small world, I past you on the 66 at warcop Sunday afternoon.
Hal
Warcop Fell ! Many years ago I've had fun lobbing 76mm shells on that firing range
0 x

Old Diggerdogk9

Post by Old Diggerdogk9 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:17 pm

highland al wrote:It's a small world, I past you on the 66 at warcop Sunday afternoon.
Hal

EYEBALL ;) If you were the bike that looked back and waved then I opoigize for the idoit in front that dropped from 50 to 30 then booted it leaving me for dust at a snale pace
0 x

Old Diggerdogk9

Post by Old Diggerdogk9 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Warcop Fell ! Many years ago I've had fun lobbing 76mm shells on that firing range

did they have mm in them days ? i thought they were 3 inch :lol:
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:38 pm

Old Diggerdogk9 wrote:Warcop Fell ! Many years ago I've had fun lobbing 76mm shells on that firing range

did they have mm in them days ? i thought they were 3 inch :lol:
The L5A1 was 76mm, mounted on a Saladin designed 1954 , in production from 1958 to 1972 and sold across the world
Even the Daimer Dingo introduced in 1936 had a metric 40mm gun Quaintly referred to as a 2-pounder !

The old vehicle design was really noticed by us when we were equipped with the Fox Armoured Car with its 30mm canon Why? Because the newer 1973/4 vehicle had an internal electric boiling vessel so you could heat up meals and water whilst on the move rather than mess about with a petrol stove

In terms of measurement, the Saladin recorded distances in miles(what else) whereas our maps had 1 km grid-squares Fine for the vehicle commander to say 'Drive on this bearing for 2 kilometres ' but a tough one for the driver who only had distances recorded in miles
0 x

Dave_S_MT

Post by Dave_S_MT » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:12 pm

Nice! Biggest ride of done on my "new" bike is about 50 miles so far.

Question - with a full tank, what range do you have before fitting reserve (in KM). I'm Topping up at 100km just to be safe at the moment whilst I'm learning...
0 x

Old Diggerdogk9

Post by Old Diggerdogk9 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:13 pm

Dave_S_MT wrote:Nice! Biggest ride of done on my "new" bike is about 50 miles so far.

Question - with a full tank, what range do you have before fitting reserve (in KM). I'm Topping up at 100km just to be safe at the moment whilst I'm learning...
Based on my test this weekend for road riding 120- 150 miles be warned reserve doesn't get you far you may have to lean the bike over to get any remaining fuel over the outlet however on long high speed trips I like to top up about every 1 1/2 - 2 hours, to be safe if in doubt carry some spare !
0 x