Greenlanes in Surrey?

Arrange & discuss your meetings/ ride outs here

Moderator: Event Co-ordinator

jungleMTbiker

Greenlanes in Surrey?

Post by jungleMTbiker » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:54 pm

Well, the time is fast approaching for me to be in the UK again. Starting in late April, I'll be living in Haslemere, Surrey for much of the summer. Once I get my MT out of hibernation in Bognor Regis I'd like to try it out on dirt. Are there any greenlanes in Surrey? Last time I was there I rode past a promising looking place, (can't remember the name of the area now--seems there was a medieval dam or fishpond somewhere nearby) lots of sandy trails, but I couldn't tell if people were allowed to ride there or not, and somehow a huge American bloke blasting around on an old army bike seemed like a bad way to impress the locals. :)
0 x
--1985 Armstrong MT500, was 05 KE 27, currently hibernating in Surrey while I am back at work in Papua New Guinea.
--Fond hopes/dreams for my MT's future: electric start, Minterised 555 engine, disc front brake, better rear suspension

Mr Shiney

Re: Greenlanes in Surrey?

Post by Mr Shiney » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:38 am

Loads of them. I went with a friend a few years ago.
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Mr Shiney wrote: I went with a friend a few years ago.
Probably the last time you had a friend.
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:45 pm

lardmarc wrote:
Mr Shiney wrote: I went with a friend a few years ago.
Probably the last time you had a friend.

About the same time I met you as I recall.......
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:02 pm

There are a few lanes in East Hampshire too, just a short distance from Haslemere. There's a few of us in the area. Hopefully meet up for a brew and ride sometime next summer
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

jungleMTbiker

Post by jungleMTbiker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:54 am

Nice. How do I go about finding these greenlanes? Are there maps published somewhere or do you just have to know the right people?
0 x
--1985 Armstrong MT500, was 05 KE 27, currently hibernating in Surrey while I am back at work in Papua New Guinea.
--Fond hopes/dreams for my MT's future: electric start, Minterised 555 engine, disc front brake, better rear suspension

Laurence

Post by Laurence » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:52 am

These sites are pretty good for finding lanes, but can be out of date in some cases... so sometimes best to check on a current OS map!

www.bywaymap.com/

www.qwerf.com/greenlaning/?county=surrey
0 x
..VFR 400..
..MT 350..
..Enfield Explorer..

Simon73

Post by Simon73 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:53 am

Hi, I'm in Selsey, not to far from Bognor Regis, or Haslemere, if you fancy going out into the green stuff sometime, I'll come with if I'm free. I've not done any of the green lanes around here, so would be well up for it.
The kettle is always ready for a cuppa as well.
0 x
Are three bikes enough? No man cannot have to many toys, it just how he try's to justify them to his wife :mrgreen:

geoffbarnett

Post by geoffbarnett » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Maps recording greenlanes, such as OS Landranger are only as accurate as the date when they were printed, usually years ago.
Sadly many greenlanes have been declassified to bridleway or footpath status in the recent years.

Websites I have consulted record supposedly open greenlanes round here, that I know were closed years ago.

Therefore, the only way to be sure that a lane bears legal vehicular status is to visit your local County Hall and request to see the Definitive Map.

This map is their master copy of rights of way. If a lane is marked on there as legal for vehicles (byway, Road Used as a Public Path [RUPP}, Unclassified County Road [UCR]), then it is legal for vehicles.
0 x