Re: What have you done to your MT today ? contd

Post by 12royal » Thu May 31, 2018 5:42 pm

Mended the broken pink wire at the front brake light switch. :D :D
1 x
MT350

yaka

Post by yaka » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:56 pm

was forecast to pee it down so i got a few things done. but it was sunny and very warm :?

so few bits got taken to powder coating on Thursday and put back on the bike today

also my headers/down pipes came back from ceramic coating

and finaly got round to fitting sportax ace end can
i admit to not being the brightest spark around but the can clip and rubber gromit thingie got me stumped on where it should go in the end i kinda managed it but not sure i got it right.

im all set for early 5 am ride out tomorrow :)
1 x

FordPrefect

Post by FordPrefect » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:58 am

Technically yesterday but, I didn't get chance to post.
I borrowed a 30mm socket from work so I could change my fork oil, what I found was less than impressive!
http://imgur.com/gallery/19WSQrQ
No oil in the offside fork at all!
0 x
1993 MT350 bought August 2017

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:36 am

FordPrefect wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:58 am
I borrowed a 30mm socket from work so I could change my fork oil, what I found was less than impressive!
I see you have an early yoke, the yokes on my 1993 bike were the same. Minter stripped mine at the 2013 Big Meet and found one leg was low on fluid and the other even lower There were no obvious leaks He took the legs off and renewed the seals Given the age of your forks, it may be worth considering. I can't remember how often the oil should be changed in theory, every 2 ? years. When racing the frequency is once every couple of events apparently
0 x

redwulf500

Post by redwulf500 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:12 pm

today i changed the oil and filter, having read about oil gushing out the frame and on to the front wheel, i taped a plastic funnel into a 5 litre container, undo the oil nut carefully the nut went down the funnel blocking it and said oil gushed on to floor and front wheel. i also undid a small screw in the oil filter cover instead of one of the bolts , the oil cover had two different sized bolts also the sprocket cover had two short and one longer bolt/screw. i could not get the sump cover off due to one side having a large allen head nut ,the other side was a bolt. how do you torque allen head screws down ,i just quessed although the oil filter cover did not get much pressure on the screws with the allen key. do you think i should get some sort of torque wrench to check em....thanks for reading ...red p.s anyone know how to get oil stains off concrete ..lol
0 x

FordPrefect

Post by FordPrefect » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:52 pm

Wirralman wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:36 am
FordPrefect wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:58 am
I see you have an early yoke, the yokes on my 1993 bike were the same. Minter stripped mine at the 2013 Big Meet and found one leg was low on fluid and the other even lower There were no obvious leaks He took the legs off and renewed the seals Given the age of your forks, it may be worth considering. I can't remember how often the oil should be changed in theory, every 2 ? years. When racing the frequency is once every couple of events apparently
10000 miles or 2 years so I've read. The seals look in excellent condition I have to say but, given what's happened I'm going to be keeping a close eye on the forks and if I find anything awry I''ll replace the seals straight away.
redwulf500 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:12 pm
today i changed the oil and filter, having read about oil gushing out the frame and on to the front wheel, i taped a plastic funnel into a 5 litre container, undo the oil nut carefully the nut went down the funnel blocking it and said oil gushed on to floor and front wheel. i also undid a small screw in the oil filter cover instead of one of the bolts , the oil cover had two different sized bolts also the sprocket cover had two short and one longer bolt/screw. i could not get the sump cover off due to one side having a large allen head nut ,the other side was a bolt. how do you torque allen head screws down ,i just quessed although the oil filter cover did not get much pressure on the screws with the allen key. do you think i should get some sort of torque wrench to check em....thanks for reading ...red p.s anyone know how to get oil stains off concrete ..lol
A partly cut down 4 pint milk bottle and a cat litter tray are your friends when changing oil and taking the frame plug out. As for the oil on the concrete, cover it with fullers earth (clumping) cat litter and leave it to draw up the oil, works a treat for me.
You can get ¼" drive allen key bits that will fit to a ¼" torque wrench easy enough, I've got a Lidl ¼" ratchet socket set with them in that I use for bike maintenance at home.
0 x
1993 MT350 bought August 2017

redwulf500

Post by redwulf500 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Cheers I will have a look for a set.....
0 x

Bonnielad
Global Moderator

Post by Bonnielad » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:05 pm

8- MT2018.JPG
8- MT2018.JPG (2.6 MiB) Viewed 385 times
Conversion complete. Looking forward to getting down and dirty
7 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 'Scrambler'
1964 Triumph Tiger Cub TR20 Trials Works Replica
2016 Honda CB500X (soon to be 'Rally Raided')

twmtomos1

Post by twmtomos1 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:24 am

looking good ,nice job
0 x

highland al

Post by highland al » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Fresh mot and no advisories.
Hal
0 x