VIN numbers - I want yours.......

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
CK1972

Re: VIN numbers - I want yours.......

Post by CK1972 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:57 am

In my day armoured vehicles Ferret Saladin Saracen Fox were all A vehicles
You're right- my mikstake. On the Ferret's card it in deed reads "A" 8-)
The big difference to use was that there were no forms and fuel logs with A vehicles whereas to move B vehicles you needed a form and log sheet to record fuel usage
That's interesting- I would have expected it the other way round.
In the German army we need forms for every kind of vehicles- except bicycles :roll: :lol:
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:07 pm

CK1972 wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:57 am
That's interesting- I would have expected it the other way round.
In the German army we need forms for every kind of vehicles- except bicycles :roll: :lol:
When doing a tactical replen, it's usually at night Driver stops by fuel truck and shouts for example '4 cans' The cans are put as quietly as possible on the back decks and the driver pulls away 200 metres Petrol tanks are filled to the top The cans empty, half full, or unused are dumped, to be collected later by the fuel truck driver Vehicles quietly leave

Re-fuelling tactically is a very dangerous time for armoured vehicles and is not complicated by paperwork

The British army on peacetime also has lots of paperwork but refuelling A vehicles is paper free !
0 x

CK1972

Post by CK1972 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:55 pm

refuelling A vehicles is paper free
Not so in the German Army :roll:
There are "diaries" for every vehicle. You've got to write down every litre of petrol, oil, or whatsoever in them.
I served in the equivalent to the British REME and fortunately never had to refuel a tank by jerry cans :mrgreen:
A few years ago I watched a "hot refuel" of an Apache Gunship from a few metres away- that was quite impresive and everything
else but quitly :mrgreen:
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:39 pm

CK1972 wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:55 pm
refuelling A vehicles is paper free
Not so in the German Army :roll:
fortunately never had to refuel a tank by jerry cans :mrgreen:
I was operating in and around the FEBA , forward edge of battle area Tanks would usually operate behind us, so probably fueling from a bowser Arceye would know

Yes helicopters are interesting machines, unless they are attacking you As for fighter/bombers attacking and dumping warm jet fumes on you , more exciting still
0 x