Snow! Snow! Snow!

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Phil_B

Re: Snow Riding

Post by Phil_B » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:14 pm

I've done a few hundred miles on the snow and ice since the weekend and to be honest it's been no fun at all, but the Avon Distanzia's I've got on the bike have kept me upright with only a few scares. Biggest problems (besides the cold) have been cars coming down hills backwards and sideways towards me and boy racers who insist on being within six inches of my rear wheel because I'm doing 45mph rather than the 50mph that is the speed limit on the Cat and Fiddle road.

I'll be honest though, today going into Manchester I decided that Manchester was a silly place and went back home while I still could...

That's the A34 at Burnage at midday today...

Phil
0 x

Itsall

Post by Itsall » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:55 pm

I've done some highway miles Sunday that was a bit dangers but got home a hour later than normally.
Hat a lot of fun in the snow but its getting very icy and busy on the streets.

0 x

Bunker
Site Admin

Post by Bunker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:49 pm

Calender? No sorry didnt get that organised, will do for 2011.

Mr Kays from last year:

Image[/quote]
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'
HD MT604e MTourer project

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

mtt.tr

Post by mtt.tr » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:47 pm

I rode my bike fine on the roads no problems at all, got to work pulled into the car park and the back wheel went luckily me and bike are fine was only doing about 5mph, but i couldn't stand the bike up as the ice was too slippery. But a guy managed to help me after falling over himself. It was just to damn icy in the carpark.
:x
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:14 pm

mtt.tr
this is what you need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ykPzm_6 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc7oUa5g ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0 x

harleyboy

Snow! Snow! Snow!

Post by harleyboy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:34 pm

The good lady didnt want to get out of bed this morning so I decided I was'nt going to let this weather go to waste and jumped on to the lean green fighting machine.
I went over to Fox house and Hathersage in the Peak district where the snow was about a foot deep and compacted to a couple of inch on the roads.
What a great machine! Coming back from Hathersage I had 4 cars and a Winnebago holding me up coming up the road from Hathersage, When I saw a long straight clear stretch, I just powered past all 5 vehicles with no problems whatsoever.
I only had one mishap earlier in the day when when a vehicle ahead got stuck and started rolling back, I applied the gas a little too heavy and the back end slipped from under me! I styled it tho and jumped straight back on and rode straight off as the engine never even stalled.

Lessons learned for riding in the snow...

Keep the throttle steady,

downhill, select the right gear and let the engine do the work

and lastly, altho washing up liquid will stop the inside of your visor misting up it will freeze inside thereby obscuring your view.

Andy
Attachments
mt2.jpg
mt2.jpg (38.65 KiB) Viewed 988 times
GetAttachment.jpg
GetAttachment.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 988 times
mt.jpg
mt.jpg (52.43 KiB) Viewed 988 times
0 x

ben

Re: Snow! Snow! Snow!

Post by ben » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:54 pm

My friend walked in this morning and said "we're lost our dog, can you go and look for him?".

Oh yes...
Attachments
DSCF3507.jpg
DSCF3507.jpg (70.48 KiB) Viewed 950 times
0 x

ben

Post by ben » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:49 pm

I tried riding down our lane and I can say that riding on top of snow is bloody difficult. No technique works - coasting along freewheeling at 10mph and both wheels sliding all over the shop. :shock:

I have Metz Enduro 3 Saharas - more knobbles required?
Attachments
2010jan5-copy.jpg
2010jan5-copy.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 657 times
0 x

twowheel

Post by twowheel » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Seen them home made... old tyre, drill holes, nuts n bolts through with large washers. gaffa tape over the heads on the inside to protect the tube... away you go

Iv'e heard about em being home made in the past but never seen one, but like Lowuk says --- don't think any insurance company would think alot about it, they would use any get out these days to turn down a claim I will bet, would be interesting to experiment though ;)
0 x

green_machine

Re: Real Classic Magazine

Post by green_machine » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:24 pm

This is the photo digger sent into the mag....

Taken on the way back from last years Dragon.

Stuart
0 x