Classic Motorcycle mag. April '19

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Bonnielad
Global Moderator

Classic Motorcycle mag. April '19

Post by Bonnielad » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:36 pm

The April 2019 edition of The Classic Motor Cycle magazine comes with a free supplement "The Military", British bikes on active service. It isn't very in-depth but covers bikes from WW1 and has a page on the Armstrong MT500 which has some history that may not be widely known.
I found it very interesting so I just thought I'd share the info.
4 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 "Black Bomber"'
1964 Triumph Tiger Cub TR20 Trials Works Replica
2019 Honda CB500X

lardmarc

Re: Classic Motorcycle mag. April '19

Post by lardmarc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Bonnielad wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:36 pm
A page on the Armstrong MT500 which has some history that may not be widely known.
I doubt it.
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Bonnielad
Global Moderator

Post by Bonnielad » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:16 pm

I was considering all the recent newer members that might not know as much as us old fogeys. The bikes in the feature are from the National Motorcycle Museum. The problem with the MT500 in there is that it has been painted in desert beige which as far as I know was never a production colour, changed from green by daubing them with whatever they could find for the Gulf.
0 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 "Black Bomber"'
1964 Triumph Tiger Cub TR20 Trials Works Replica
2019 Honda CB500X

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:00 am

Bonnielad wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:16 pm
The problem with the MT500 in there is that it has been painted in desert beige which as far as I know was never a production colour, changed from green by daubing them with whatever they could find for the Gulf.
You're absolutely right MT500 were produced ex factory in four colours
green, standard issue ( paint code in manuals)
white, training
red, instructors
black ? , for use in Northern Ireland so they looked less 'military' and therefore antagonistic
Sheffield Parks ( technically not MT500) bikes were had a two tone combination I think , forks and side panels were a different colour
MT350 were all green ex factory ( no published paint code)

I recall being issued with brand new armoured cars in Olive Drab, the first thing we did was cover them in full non reflective green with irregular back patches to break up the shape. No two vehicles had the same pattern All vehicles had squadron, troop and vehicle markings eg Diamond/ circle/ square, ( squadron )
34/34A/34B/34C (troop leader/sgt/cpl/ lance cpl )

TP 34 above wheels Tyre Pressure 34 psi

Vehicles painted in woodland green are fine for use in those conditions, but I've seen photos of tanks painted in vertical blocks of black and white for use in winter urban warfare. Desert sand paint schemes to factory standard may look smart but how authentic are they ?
0 x