What will change after March 2019? (Brexit)

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
deadgrass.

Re: What will change after March 2019? (Brexit)

Post by deadgrass. » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:51 am

geoffbarnett wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:36 pm
A so called "no deal scenario" will be something like this: The UK will shoot itself in the foot and an economic ice age will descend across the country. Xenophobia and intolerance will rise. There will be chaos at our major ports. Prices of imports will rise, prices of UK exports will rise, thus making the same more uncompetitive. UK jobs will be exported to within the EU to stay within the market that is our greatest customer. There will be a race to the bottom on workers rights as forces try to turn us into a Singaporean sweat-shop economy. The City of London money market will eventually move to Hamburg, Ultimately, long term there will be discord again in Europe and war will again break out.

There's lots more that will happen but the above are the highlights.
so are you leave or remain geoff?

dave.
4 x
born to be waserk
thank god for atheism.
sometimes your front legs need to be stiff and the fur on your arse vertical.

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:07 pm

Minter wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:33 am
You'll still get your MT parts in a few days just like computers still worked and your alarm clock did on 01/01/2000!!
Computer systems still worked 01/01/2000 because a considerable amount of checking and modification was done prior to the event. I had 150 staff, roughly half of my team, testing computer systems for Y2K over a period of 18 months- they caught all but one problem.

Why was it an issue you may ask ? Because back on the day non-essential characters e.g. the 19 of 1990 were not stored to save storage space , hence the data fields had to be expanded to and systems tested (Why ? Because the time difference between 99 and 00 is indeterminate to a computer, but the time differrence between 1999 and 2000 is 1. When doing date calculations an indetereminate number causes computer systems to crash) With complex a system one program feeds data to the next and the next so they all had to be changed and tested. The tests were not limited to the date fields, we had to ensure that other fields were not affected

All of this work was invisible to the general public and most problems were found before the event with corrective action taken. Some major banks did have problems and were off line for a while

As for what happens when UK leaves the EU, I haven't seen a single definitive statement so any comment at this point is based on assumption rather than fact.
2 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:35 pm

Wirralman wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:07 pm
Minter wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:33 am
You'll still get your MT parts in a few days just like computers still worked and your alarm clock did on 01/01/2000!!
Computer systems still worked 01/01/2000 because a considerable amount of checking and modification was done prior to the event. I had 150 staff, roughly half of my team, testing computer systems for Y2K over a period of 18 months- they caught all but one problem.

Why was it an issue you may ask ? Because back on the day non-essential characters e.g. the 19 of 1990 were not stored to save storage space , hence the data fields had to be expanded to and systems tested (Why ? Because the time difference between 99 and 00 is indeterminate to a computer, but the time differrence between 1999 and 2000 is 1. When doing date calculations an indetereminate number causes computer systems to crash) With complex a system one program feeds data to the next and the next so they all had to be changed and tested. The tests were not limited to the date fields, we had to ensure that other fields were not affected

All of this work was invisible to the general public and most problems were found before the event with corrective action taken. Some major banks did have problems and were off line for a while

As for what happens when UK leaves the EU, I haven't seen a single definitive statement so any comment at this point is based on assumption rather than fact.
That lot makes Brexit sound simple! I agree with your last comment Eric, too many folk - including Polititions scare mongering! I think it was the same with the Millenium Bug - and that got sorted!!
1 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:47 pm

i'm fed up with scare mongering remainers , ,, I don't know how anyone can prophesize on what will or will not happen , the truth is no one knows!!!,
But i'm willing to bet that nothing major really happens , they want to trade as much as we want to trade , truth is the world is opening up now, it's no longer the US or Europe that have the keys to the car , Asia, India is a massive trading force now and we will be able to do business with who ever we want ,
We are and always have been a great country , I wouldn't be so quick to flush us down the loo
4 x
Africa twin 750
honda hornet 600 now sold :(
mt 500
mt560e
can am
divorce coming soon

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:29 pm

mt bandit wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:47 pm
i'm fed up with scare mongering remainers , ,, I don't know how anyone can prophesize on what will or will not happen , the truth is no one knows!!!,
But i'm willing to bet that nothing major really happens , they want to trade as much as we want to trade , truth is the world is opening up now, it's no longer the US or Europe that have the keys to the car , Asia, India is a massive trading force now and we will be able to do business with who ever we want ,
We are and always have been a great country , I wouldn't be so quick to flush us down the loo
You're spot on, no one does know for certain. It's in no-one's true interests to make trading difficult, but then UK only got into the EU after the then prime minister Ted Heath overcame fierce resistance from the French. It wouldn't surprise me at all if in a No Deal situation, other European countries make things difficult. As you rightly say there are plenty of trading opportunities world wide.
0 x

imthetourguy

Post by imthetourguy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:11 pm

rule regarding politics

https://www.mtridersclub.co.uk/viewtopi ... 21&t=14522

A very relevant topic for those of us not living in GB. Will our parts supply suddenly rise to a point where we (or indeed should we choose to sell - our second hand market) determine the price is too high? I can also imagine the same for parts on the bikes that are bought in from the EU (rotax, öhlins, grimeca, marzocchi, etc)?
0 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:17 pm

mt bandit wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:47 pm
I agree with your comment. The rules and regulations have always been changing.

It's got more difficult to register ex-military vehicles such as the MTs without the MOD release papers, and that's within the UK. The one country that has so far refused to register MT350s for road-use is the USA, where they were made, even with all the MOD papers. I have heard that some people have had problems registering MT350s in some EU countries, due to local restrictions and regulations.

If you are thinking of getting another, it won't do any harm to get it now, after all, you have an excuse and you can't have too many :)
1 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

moscowjohn

Post by moscowjohn » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:49 pm

You will have to return your bike to the UK and buy a Honda....
3 x

Bonnielad
Global Moderator

Post by Bonnielad » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:14 pm

Gentlemen,
We don't want to delete/edit/remove any of this thread. I hope the original question has been answered (as far as it can be at the moment). Please keep political views to one side. The reason politics are banned is because we are all friends with a common bond and we don't want to lose that.
Thanks.
6 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 "Black Bomber"'
1964 Triumph Tiger Cub TR20 Trials Works Replica
2019 Honda CB500X

Flying Dutchman

Post by Flying Dutchman » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:56 am

Bonnielad wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:14 pm
I hope the original question has been answered (as far as it can be at the moment).
Yes, thanks to you all.
And whatever happens, i'll keep riding the MT's and keep enjoying this forum with all its unique members.
5 x
*Harley X90
*Harley SX175
*Harley MT350
*Cagiva Ala Verde
*Royal Enfield Bullet Diesel