A little help from a friend or the general public !

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Born agN Biker

A little help from a friend or the general public !

Post by Born agN Biker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:56 pm

Hello again everybody,I have had a tough start to the year what with one thing or another ,truth is my life has been turned upside down but I don't want to bleat on about that on this post .
The thing was I had seen the post about stolen bikes and I thought yer there are some nasty people about ,but I had to tell you all what happened to me yesterday just to balance things up a bit ,I had been out and about on the old bike and had a reasonable ride round Oxfordshire and West Berkshire however around four o'clock I intended to stop in a car park for a break. As I pulled in I noticed a couple of cyclists who were looking at the bike ,when I stopped they came over to me they had noticed smoke and oil coming from below the tank .
We all had a good look and it was not good..... if you see what I mean !
The bolts on the rear rocker cover had come loose and one had gone completely ,there was oil everywhere ,straight away they were on the phone ringing somebody local to help me out ,a phone call by a complete stranger had saved the day for me because I was well and truly stranded, In less than half an hour I had managed to limp into Didcot and stopped again at a tyre centre where two chaps came out and had a go at fixing the problem at the side of the road and gave the bike a bit of a clean up as they gave me directions to my destination. A lady pulled up and offered to give me a lift to the garage ...so that was five complete strangers giving there time to help me .
I was now on my way again after the bike had cooled down a bit and a short ride to TB Motorcycles where Tony was waiting to see what the problem was ,he took the bike from me and within half an hour had it sorted out topped up, cleaned up and ready to go he was fantastic ,they all were !
I have seen the you tube videos of people getting angry with bikers but I can tell you there are some REAL GOOD people out there as well !!!!
8 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Re: A little help from a friend or the general public !

Post by hounddog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 pm

That's nice to hear , there are a lot of good people out there
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:34 pm

It may be worthwhile going right through the whole bike doing a check/tighten procedure on nuts and bolts I'd be concerned about what else there is- use the service manuals for guidance
0 x

Born agN Biker

Post by Born agN Biker » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:43 pm

Yes since that day I have been doing a general check over here there and everywhere and I have found one or two things that will need to be fixed over the winter time .
I would be interested to hear what other riders have found with regard to how effective the rear brake is on their own bikes ,on a scale of 1 to 100 I would say mine score about 55 ! maybe that would be another job for the winter list .
Enjoy the weekend !
Happy and safe riding to all !

Thanks.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:25 am

Born agN Biker wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:43 pm
I would be interested to hear what other riders have found with regard to how effective the rear brake is on their own bikes ,on a scale of 1 to 100 I would say mine score about 55 ! maybe that would be another job for the winter list .
Re rear brakes, are you talking 350 or 500?

Some who ride off road prefer a softer 500 drum brake rather than a 350 disc because it gives more feel

Both bikes need attention to rear brakes, on 500s riders have reported 'oval' drums and have renewed them Some have reported desalination where the friction material has come away from the shoe

On 350s the problems are, clogged calipers which don't allow free pad movement, clogged master cylinder -
mud restricting piston movement, poor pedal adjustment , some have noticed an improvement when they have renewed brake lines So for a complete job :-
1 strip caliper, clean and fit new seals
2 renew pads ( there are different grades available)
3 renew and upgrade brake line
4 strip, clean and renew rear master cylinder
5 replace all old fluid ( if you only partially strip)
6 set up master cylinder free play correctly

Your rear brake will be 100% in no time
0 x

Born agN Biker

Post by Born agN Biker » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:38 pm

Yes I have the 350 with the discs so a number of things that could be done to improve them .

I had better start saving up for the bits !

Thanks to Wirralman

Happy and safe riding to all !
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Low cost option is simply cleaning
Take wheel off and pads out then clean old brake dust away ( mask up to avoid inhaling dust) Clean inside of caliper to ensure pads move freely Ditto retaining pin and tensioner
Clean pads so that they can slide in and out freely
Scuff up existing pads if they are glazed

Item 4 refers to rear master and jobs are
Clean crud to ensure piston makes freely
Renew brake fluid and bleed
Set up master piston to ensure correct free play

Cost
Elbow grease
Clean rags
File to de-glaze
Brake fluid
Bleed screw spanner

Had I not said Fit new pipe, someone else would pointing out that old rubber pipe may swell under pressure

So , you can tackle this without breaking the band and you may well solve your problem for buttons

If not it's save up for refurb kits , pads and pipe😊
0 x

Dave_S_MT

Post by Dave_S_MT » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:18 pm

As above re the back brake on my 350 - was pretty pants when I first got the bike, gave it a thorough clean and covered a few miles - all good. Didn't take long at all.
0 x