Motorcycle Carrier

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
DefenderUK

Motorcycle Carrier

Post by DefenderUK » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:49 am

Hello all,

I am considering getting an MT350 as my first bike. I have ridden a fair bit before, but really what I am looking for is something that I like (military style) that will be used for commuting (one car family, so helpful for me to move independently for work and errands) and also have the potential to be used offroad and be capable of carrying kit. It is also important to me that spares are plentiful, and I can repair it all myself so it will last my lifetime.

Which brings me to my question....

I have a LR Defender 110 TD5 (~year2000) as our family car. It would be extremely useful to have a motorcycle carrier to attach to the back. Does anyone here have any experience or recommendations with these?

I don't have a spare tyre mounted at the back, just tow bar, and it would be great if it were hinged so that the back could still be accessed, and even better if it was possible to still tow trailers - but all those things are low priority preferences compared to having a functional carrier...

I have contacted Dave Cooper, Watling Towbars and Armitage reference this and none can meet the weight of an MT350 (160kg) - any suggestions or pointers from the community?
0 x

Mr Shiney

Re: Motorcycle Carrier

Post by Mr Shiney » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:04 pm

There is nothing that will do what you want. Even on a Landrover the weight of the MT and the rack far exceed the nose weight off the tow bar. I made my own copy of the Dave Cooper rack for my Defender to carry my much lighter XR but that was still right on the edge weight wise.

You are stuck with a trailer for an MT.
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!

Minter

Post by Minter » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 am

Montesa23 has been using a Dave Cooper rack for the last 15 years on the back of an old Rover then 2 different Volvos and an Armstrong still hasn't snapped either the tow hitch off the car or the rack!

I cringe every time I watch him put it on but its failed to break in all this time!
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Minter wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 am
Montesa23 has been using a Dave Cooper rack for the last 15 years on the back of an old Rover then 2 different Volvos and an Armstrong still hasn't snapped either the tow hitch off the car or the rack!

I cringe every time I watch him put it on but its failed to break in all this time!
well done Gary, you've totally jinxed him now ,
1 x
Africa twin 750
honda hornet 600 now sold :(
mt 500
mt560e
can am
divorce coming soon

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:33 pm

I have seen MTs transported in many ways. ( Even under their own steam sometimes :D )
I would be very doubtful about hanging that much weight on the back of a car , although I have seen it done on a volvo estate car. The worry as I see it is potentially dangerous , could make steering light , and in event of an accident insurance may be invalidated . And if it falls off the back that's not going to end well . :o
Trailer is best option imo.
You can also get side loading trailers which take up less space ,but check to make sure will take the weight.
I have seen an MT loaded into the back of a Nissan estate car , after removing a wheel , which was impressive .
1 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:28 pm

hounddog wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:33 pm
I have seen an MT loaded into the back of a Nissan estate car , after removing a wheel , which was impressive .
The first minute of this clip reminds me of you Ian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPk9KZbdAE

Amazing what you can get into a little car.
2 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

hawk61

Post by hawk61 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:34 pm

Why not just front wheel suspended in a rack with rear on road
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:24 pm

hawk61 wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:34 pm
I have seen that done . I am told you should remove the final drive chain when towing that way as it can cause engine damage otherwise .

I have also read that these "towing dolly" devices may also be illegal as a means of transporting bikes otherwise than for emergency breakdown recovery, ,. So best check the legal position there to be on safe side before using one of these
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

hawk61

Post by hawk61 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:18 am

https://postimg.cc/image/u6zsrmgcp/ if you want to have made
0 x

FordPrefect

Post by FordPrefect » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:28 pm

hawk61 wrote: ↑
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:34 pm
Not legal on UK roads except for recovery purposes as Hounddog says. I looked into the idea myself but the law states that if any towed vehicle has brakes fitted they must be linked to work when those on the towing vehicle are engaged. You're going to have a hard time slaving the rear brake of a bike to the car brakes so it puts a dampener on the whole idea.
1 x
1993 MT350 bought August 2017