Fake Spark Plugs!

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
delhidrover

Fake Spark Plugs!

Post by delhidrover » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 pm

As some of you already know, earlier this year I fulfilled a longstanding itch for an MT500 and had been chasing a particular one for several years. Having secured the bike, along with a few spares, including unused NGK D8EA spark plugs, I was ready to go. So after a Sportax service and a couple of months of fruitless jumping up and down I was about to throw the towel in - I'd missed my camping trip and was more confident with my 60 year Triumph! I thought I'd tried everything to get it to run, until one day I was in Halfords and decided to buy another plug.
Since fitting this new plug, I have not failed to start it every time, hot or cold, first kick, with a lazy backheel (except the once I forgot the choke!) - its certainly a lot easier than a Panther!
On further inspection (credit my son here) it seems there is a pretty substantial Chinese manufacturing facility making fake spark plugs and if you look at the NGK website they have a big section on it, so it must be a major problem.
So, if you are having running problems, I suggest you check your NGK plug with the following:-

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/te ... index.html

The one I was using looked really good, but when you check the stamping and logo - its a fake! It does spark when earthed on the head and the engine would fire and run, .... a bit.
Its interesting that on the NGK video, it uses our dear D8EA as a fake example.
I now know that the plugs were purchased from a well known website (not sure if I can mention specifically), but I recon you can't make a plug for less than 2 quid!
Anyway, just be careful what you are buying!
Out of interest, does anybody use other spark plug brands and how have they been?
Ride safe.
2 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Re: Fake Spark Plugs!

Post by hounddog » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Thank you for the heads up , amazing what fake rubbish is out there . I never imagined anyone would bother to fake spark plugs.
Beware cheap and nasty cam belts and drive chains too
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:22 pm

I note that this problem has hit not only NGK but other plug manufacturers and has been around for at least 5 years I can't recall anyone coming across this before though

As for cam- belts a while ago machine quality rather than higher quality automotive belts were being sold The cheaper but change often belts were favoured by some
0 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:11 am

As Andy mentions, we carried out the recommisioning of the bike and as many of our customers bring their own parts we are happy to fit them - (Andy's plug came with the bike from the previous owner) We already draw the line at fitting 322L timing belts that customers bring as these are for electric motors and we shall now draw the line at fitting customers plugs. We purchase ours in bulk from the UK NGK distributor.

The bike did run to begin with and I took it twice around the test route after its service and recommisioning as it was that nice to ride!

Things went down hill after Andy got the bike home which was a shame - thankfully a new plug from a reputable source cured the problem!

I like quotes and todays quotes of the day are 'Every day is a school day!' and 'Buy cheap buy twice!'

Thanks for sharing your story Andy and happy MTing!

:D
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:54 am

I'm just bumping this one for benefit of anyone who didn't see it first time .

Advice to buy plugs from legitimate sources , for the sake of a few extra ÂŁ could save a whole load of stress
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project