What do you carry in YOUR TOOL BOX !!!!

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Bunker
Site Admin

Re: What do you carry in YOUR TOOL BOX !!!!

Post by Bunker » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:08 am

Again, please post in relevant section.
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'
HD MT604e MTourer project

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Dave_S_MT

Post by Dave_S_MT » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Wirralman wrote:
Dave_S_MT wrote:AA Card and £50
Neither is of any use if you are off-road miles from anywhere ......
Joking (mostly) - when I first started doing big trips in my Landy I used to carry spare half shafts, diffs, UJs, all manner of stuff. Each trip I would take less and less... by the time we toured Iceland I was down to a few genuine emergency items, bulbs, cable ties and tank tape...

It is possible to carry too much "stuff' ;-)
0 x

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:28 am

I'm looking (again) at trying to reduce the kit I carry. I'm looking at the tyre levers and I've seen some levers with a ring spanner at one end. The idea is good as I could get rid of the 22/24 ring and have those on the tyre levers and as the levers have the length there is no problem with Torque. Has anyone had any experience with these? There are a couple of very expensive ones and some makes I know nothing about DAB and MDR (seem expensive and even worse they are Orange) I don't mind buying good tools, but it would be nice if anyone has had experience of using these in the field.

Also any tips on how to improve the tool kit without carrying more kit would be great.

VMT,
0 x
MT 604e :-)
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250
BSA C15 to be rebuilt as Scrambler
Sinclair Goddard PowerPak
Kalkhoff Endeavour 11 Speed Hub

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:07 am

appyarry wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:28 am
Has anyone had any experience with these?
These work.....
https://www.zenoverland.com/product-pag ... -aluminium
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:38 pm

I used to carry
Std tool kit including puncture repair kit minus levers plus WD40 , gaffa tape, spare plug, in tool box
Longer tyre levers plus new front and rear tubes under rear rack.

20000km , one puncture, a couple of stops to spray WD40, a couple of stops to attend to HT lead , one broken clutch cable that refused to be extracted at the roadside as it had gravel wedging it in, one battery that started the bike in the morning but was dead by lunchtime

That said I covered things like brakes - pads, seals , chain sprockets, tubes rim tape, cleaning earthing points as part of servicing
0 x

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:00 pm

Wirralman wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:38 pm
I used to carry
Std tool kit including puncture repair kit minus levers plus WD40 , gaffa tape, spare plug, HY in tool box
Longer tyre levers plus new front and rear tubes under rear rack.
Thanks George, I based my original kit on your list a few years ago, it has worked well, I'm just trying to cut down on weight :-)
lardmarc wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:07 am
These work.....
https://www.zenoverland.com/product-pag ... -aluminium
Nice, not cheap but nice :-)
1 x
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:56 pm

appyarry wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:00 pm
Thanks George, I based my original kit on your list a few years ago, it has worked well, I'm just trying to cut down on weight :-)
Cut down on weight ? I thought you had a 604
Cut holes in sump guard '? Run with low fuel If really serious, ditch starter motor ditch rear footpegs , use lightest inner tubes, remove extraneous navigation aids and remove black out switch, clean any mud underside of mudguards, ditch pannier and mounts Swap out heavy footpegs for lighter ones, trim mudguards Run in daylight hours with no head light fitted , fit have lightweighl Buy lightweight remove centre stand Cut down /remove mudguards Remove rear rack or have lighter one made
Eric
0 x

appyarry

Post by appyarry » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:01 am

Wirralman wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:56 pm
Cut down on weight ? I thought you had a 604 Cut holes in sump guard '? Run with low fuel If really serious, ditch starter motor ditch rear footpegs , use lightest inner tubes, remove extraneous navigation aids and remove black out switch, clean any mud underside of mudguards, ditch pannier and mounts Swap out heavy footpegs for lighter ones, trim mudguards Run in daylight hours with no head light fitted , fit have lightweighl Buy lightweight remove centre stand Cut down /remove mudguards Remove rear rack or have lighter one made
Eric
I'd like to get to a stage where everything will go in the toolbox and maybe a just a few bits in a rucksack, that would be ideal!
Thanks for the advice though, if I followed all of it I'd end up like Geoff, not a bad idea but I like a brake light and the leccy boot :-)

Thanks,
0 x
Serveta Jet 200
Triumph Tigress 250

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:12 am

You mis-understand, I wouldn't advise anyone to take such steps to reduce weight
Re-reading your question it's about reducing kit you carry Perhaps a good start point would be to review what you do actually carry
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:34 am

Tool kit that comes with it, 21" tube, cam belt, clutch cable.
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).