Coloured Panels

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Bunker
Site Admin

Coloured Panels

Post by Bunker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:45 pm

Due to the rarity of original coloured MT500's, Id like to propose a 'coloured panel amnesty'!!

Id like anyone who has a coloured plastic panel (white or red) to swap it out for a green one. I found that on the tatty 500 Ive bought for a club project that has a red 'inner' mudguard. Most of these bikes seem to have got painted over the years so Id like to get all the panels we can find together (Morpheus, would you like to be the Colour Archivist?). Personally I have 2 sets of green side panels Id swap out. This is to go towards preserving the history of the MT.

Anyone else got anything? Must be coloured plastic underneath the paint. Ill offer club cash for it if necessary to help replace it.
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'
HD MT604e MTourer project

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

truslack

Re: Coloured Panels

Post by truslack » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:49 pm

I'll attack MT No.3s plastics with nitromorse and see if anything shows up, pretty sure they are green though. I definitely know 1 and 2 are fully green.
0 x
1981 Suzuki GSX250E - Commuter
1986 Armstrong MT500 - Work horse - Needs engine rebuild
1987 Armstrong MT500 - Sidecar bike
1987 Suzuki RG125 - Project
1988 MZ ETZ 300

Bunker
Site Admin

Post by Bunker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:19 pm

I am correct in thinking the MT500 pannels are an almost black green compaired to the MT350e ??
Some are very dark yes
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

morpheus

Post by morpheus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:16 am

(Morpheus, would you like to be the Colour Archivist?)
Love to help. I have one spare red panel (can't remember which side), in poor condition that you threw at me bunker, because you didn't want anything in your lockup that wasn't green! :o

I now have visions of MT owners up and down the country with tins of NitroMors, looking for coloured panels!!

The white ones seem to be even rarer than red - has anyone on here got a white MT500?

Most of the coloured panels I've come across are a bit scabby from years of being painted over. The ones on my red one were badly scratched from "keying" for the green paint. Fortunately, I have discovered that Ford Radiant Red is a good match for spraying over the scratches.

When DickMT sold his bike, it was red (I know coz I bought his green panels), but I haven't seen the new owner on here and I don't know whether that bike is now green.

Morpheus
0 x

tt bob

Post by tt bob » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:29 am

I've got a white one and I'm constantly on the look out for spare white bits - but I've not come across any yet.

TT Bob
0 x

Pinback

Post by Pinback » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:36 pm

Did somebody not mention ages ago that Sportax had the Side Panel molds at one point...?
0 x

zeeb

Post by zeeb » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:11 pm

All belows panels red plastic with matt black paint finish, for Armstrong MT500

Front mudguard
Rear Mudguard
LH&RH side panels

and red pannier boxes ;)

I have three headlight cowels , all green.
0 x

boaterman11

Post by boaterman11 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Hi there, re coloured panels. Have i got this wrong, mine appear to be just green plastic. i am going to paint mine orange! My bike will be my idea of a civillian version. I hope that not too many members disapprove. boaterman11.
0 x

fitzpatrick

Post by fitzpatrick » Sat May 08, 2010 3:52 pm

it's just for the white/red ones because much fewer bikes of these colours were made so it would be a shame to have a red panel painted green, when someone would happily trade you a green one for it to preserve the red bikes and parts.

Don't think many people will disapprove of your orange on a preservation level!
0 x

Bunker
Site Admin

Post by Bunker » Sat May 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Don't think many people will disapprove of your orange on a preservation level!
:o :shock:
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'