FIRST RIDE OUT, FIRST PUSH BACK

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
STEELPONY

FIRST RIDE OUT, FIRST PUSH BACK

Post by STEELPONY » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:46 pm

Now I have the cold start sorted, thought I would take the old beast up to the garage to top up with petrol . Only thing is I have not learnt the warm start. Engine flooded leave 15 mins try again, flooded leave another 15 mins try again. An hour later bo**cks time to push. Half way home try again !!! success. :o just as some old guy came to have a chat about his mate who used to have one for trials riding. half way through conversation stalled again. :x No strength left to kick so push rest of way home. Three miles later got home to garage. I though bet it will start, so with remaining strength I did one last kick. fired into life immediately. purred like a baby and did not miss a beat Ah she's just testing me. :evil:
0 x

Lardmarc

Re: FIRST RIDE OUT, FIRST PUSH BACK

Post by Lardmarc » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:53 pm

Well done. With that attitude you'll have it cracked in no time. I bump mine down the hill outside my place while telling her that I couldn't care less whether or not she wants to go, I'm riding her and that's that.

That looks terrible when written down in black and white. :shock:
1 x

STEELPONY

Post by STEELPONY » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:56 pm

The beast is an MT500 That has to be tamed, will remember the decompression lever trick next time :lol:
0 x

Aleman

Post by Aleman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:07 pm

I got chatting with this chap named Trevor who had his 500 at a war memorial day in Bognor and he said he kicks his eleven times priming kicks before The Kick. I watched him do it late from afar and it fired up OK. My 350 fires on second kick when cold.
0 x

mtt.tr

Post by mtt.tr » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:47 pm

They are a strange beast to start few people I've met that have had trouble starting them are wowed(highly annoyed ) at my second kick ability. Just remember top dead centre tiniest bit passed big kick.
0 x

STEELPONY

Post by STEELPONY » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:18 pm

The Saga of the Beast continues. Sunday start from cold two kicks. Great I thought. took it thirty miles up the road. stopped at the Tesco garage to fill up. Would not start. Leave for a while I thought. Three hours later after numerous cups of coffee back out still would not start. Tesco said" can not leave it in our car part mate", so I had to push it to an industrial estate. Legs aching no strength left to kick so got wife to pick me up and abandoned the bike for the night. Monday after work went out to see if it would start. Started second kick from cold. confused. :?
0 x

AWJD

Post by AWJD » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:48 pm

I had similar experiences when I first got my MT500. However, I eventually learnt to switch off the petrol when I stop at garages and kick it back into life with it still switched off. Otherwise, it floods easily.

Works every time for me now.
0 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 (Fun Bike)
1996 Harley MT350e
1987 Armstrong MT560e
1997 Honda XR250R Ex-Army
1966 BSA B40WD
1971 BSA B50T
1973 BSA B50MX

2007 Suzuki GSX1400 (Workhorse)

surfermick

Post by surfermick » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:32 pm

"[quote="STEELPONY"]The beast is an MT500 That has to be tamed"

:lol: :lol: :lol: and let the madness begin :lol: :lol: :lol: :cry: :cry: :cry: :x :? :o :( :D :D :roll: :oops: :P :twisted: :idea: :idea: :?:
0 x

AWJD

Post by AWJD » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Was about to go for a ride up on to the Chilton Hills this morning but noticed that I'd left the petrol tap on overnight. As predicted, the bike wouldn't start because it was flooded.

Simply switched off the petrol, applied the valve lifter and kicked it over a few times to clear the flooded engine. Then kicked it over with the ignition on and it started without the choke on the 2-3rd kick.

Had to go the garage to fill up 10 miles down the road and, as described above, switched off the petrol when I stopped and then started it again first kick with the petrol still off.

I don't really know why the bike floods when the petrol tap is left on for some time with the engine not running. Its a relatively new Mikuni carb and I don't think there's a particular problem with it - for example, a problem with the float valve not closing off the petrol properly.

The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is that when flooding occurs, the bike is leant over at ~60 deg on its sidestand and this might affect the level of fuel in the float chamber (ie the float doesn't work correctly) effectively increasing the richness of the mixer when an attempt is then made to start it.

I'd welcome any views on this?
0 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 (Fun Bike)
1996 Harley MT350e
1987 Armstrong MT560e
1997 Honda XR250R Ex-Army
1966 BSA B40WD
1971 BSA B50T
1973 BSA B50MX

2007 Suzuki GSX1400 (Workhorse)

Mr Shiney

Post by Mr Shiney » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:36 pm

It's Venturi effect. Think of the basic gas laws. As the engine cools the hot air rises and reduces density, this draws fuel into the engine which has nowhere to go. This leaves excess fuel in the engine making a difficult start. Turning the fuel off stops this cycle.

My can am has the same quirk.
0 x
97 MT350 - 500e hybrid GL 72 AA
MT604 - 350 Hybrid - Blue Thunder.... 53 KL 70
2013 Kawasaki Z1000SX
Mighty XR400
Even mightier CanAm250
Peugeot Kisbee Scoot 102cc
Ex RAF Defender 90

Why do you need so many bikes when you only have one bum? Girls eh!