MT's. Fun bikes or collectors items?

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
NeilM

MT's. Fun bikes or collectors items?

Post by NeilM » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:15 am

As well as this forum I am also on the MT owners FB group and over this lockdown I have seen a lot of bikes being stripped and restored... which is great.

But, seeing some of the bikes and seeing the prices some of them are selling for and I mean selling not just being advertised, it does make me wonder if we are entering that period that many cars and bikes go through, when they change from being cheap, fun, runaround machines and start to become historically significant and therefore collectable and hence more and more expensive, just look at cars like Frog Eyed Sprite's, cheap as chips when I was a teenager, almost unobtainable now, the Yamaha XT500 would be another perfect example.

So my question is... and it is genuine, I am really not trying to stir things up or troll, should I continue to run my MT500 in its multicoloured green (there must be at least four different shades) and rust livery, using it as my 2 wheeled 4x4 and general thrash about bike? Or would I be better selling it and using the funds to buy something more modern and less rare?
0 x

lardmarc

Re: MT's. Fun bikes or collectors items?

Post by lardmarc » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:04 am

Ride it, it’s only a motorbike.
7 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:25 am

You're over-thinking this. If an MT suits your needs, just ride it, if it doesn't sell it to someone who wants one.

If you sell it to someone else, they may look after it or thrash it. Swap your MT for a more modern bike if you want a different bike, it's as simple as that.

Some people pamper their MTs and keep them for show, others just ride the wheels off them. There's no right or wrong, they aren't rare bikes but prices are creeping up.

The Frogeye Sprite was built 1958-61, with an estimated 1000 rh drive cars in UK today, spares of some parts rare. The oldest MT is 23 years younger
2 x

Sloppy Link

Post by Sloppy Link » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:56 am

They’re for fun with a capital F. The moment you start taking them seriously, take a look in the mirror and have a word with yourself.
5 x
‘13 KTM Adventure 1190
‘03 BMW F650GS
‘85 Armstrong MT500
‘67 Norton P11

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:06 pm

Thank you guys, three sensible answers from hard core owners.

Green 'n' rust 'n' mud it is.
2 x

JG74

Post by JG74 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:00 pm

I have just restored my first one Neil, and now ridden a few times as my local hack. despite the care I took, I just don't want to worry about the looks of it too much :) - that would ruin the ownership for me.

So, I am joining the camp of doing as little as possible to it! and enjoying it for what it is.

If you did decide to sell, you can always factor in a refresh first, and sell looking all nice.
2 x