What have you done to your MT today ? contd

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
NeilM

Re: What have you done to your MT today ? contd

Post by NeilM » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:05 pm

The MT500 passed its MOT today.

The headlamp needed adjusting apparently, which the boys did for me, also they advised I check the back brake as the pedal seemed to be running out of travel before the brake was fully engaged.

I did the same adjustment to the back that I did a while ago to the front and adjusted the actuation lever on its spline, then whizzed up the road, gave the pedal a good jab and locked the back wheel. :lol:

I'd say that was sorted then. :mrgreen:

Oh and the baby oil thing worked great on the seat, it feels positively sofa like now.... well, less like a plank, and more like a motorcycle saddle.
1 x

JackC

Post by JackC » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:24 pm

I took the seat and tank of to see if I could find an oil leak (quite a bad one). The return pipe clamp to the frame under the tank was goosed so I assumed it was the cause. I replaced it put it back together and took it out for a run. Oil everywhere. It looks like it is coming from the cylinder head area at the rear. Tappet cover looks ok and the oil is dripping just above the cylinder head joint (the fins above) so it looks like fixing my oil leak is going to be another wee MT500 adventure.

JackC
0 x
JackC
Armstrong MT500 x 2
XR250RR
Africa Twin AS CRF1000

MTBrown

Post by MTBrown » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:26 am

It can be very hard sometimes to work out where the oil is originating. I would recommend cleaning off all the old oil and then taking it for a short test ride to see if the leak can then be narrowed down - there's normally only a few places it can leak from! The problem I've found with the MT head is that it very easy for oil to leak from one spot to then be spread by the slip stream some distance away making diagnosing the source very challenging!
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:14 pm

Today I have made a small upgrade to the lighting on my 500.

First step was to replace the festoon bulb with an LED unit, then I tapped into the same circuit and added a pair of 10W LED spot lights, these are mounted either side of the headlamp using two of the headlamp cowling mounts and a couple of longer stainless screws.

I have an identical pair of spots on my VStrom and use them as day running lights rather than add to the light on the road, although they inevitably do. On the MT I have aimed the two spots a little below the dipped beam so that I can use them for both purposes. However, with a couple of 10mm spanners and a 5mm allen key I could soon change the aim of the lights and make them earn their keep properly.

I have not bothered with a relay for the spots as total current including the LED festoon lamp is around 2 amps.

Next lighting upgrade will be an LED headlamp bulb and then an LED tail light bulb, although I have yet to find one with a really good brake light function.

For those who do not think an MT should have such things as day running lights, mine has an electric start MZ engine so is already non standard, and shortly it will have a stainless steel exhaust system. I prefer a practical bike for today's roads, plus pretty much all the mods I make could be reversed if another owner wanted to restore my bike to original specification.
1 x

microliteRon

Post by microliteRon » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:06 am

Sounds like a good job , wish I had the electrical skills to do the same, hopefully you will now be seen much better by other road users
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:52 am

microliteRon wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:06 am
Sounds like a good job , wish I had the electrical skills to do the same, hopefully you will now be seen much better by other road users
That's the idea.

It seems to work on my Suzuki, and as I intend to do more on/off road miles on the MT500 in 2021 there are going to be times when I'd like to be a bit more visible.
0 x

deadgrass.

Post by deadgrass. » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:15 pm

Denise said i shouldn't mess about with the bikes today ,
and suggested we have a few glasses of wine instead
i agreed reluctantly,
anyhow while she weren't watchin i sneaked int shed,
i set the valb creerences,
sparc plub gap,
tyre freshers,
foil lebl,
made sure old fuel in

all ready for next meet,

ave.
10 x
born to be waserk
thank god for atheism.
sometimes your front legs need to be stiff and the fur on your arse vertical.

Sloppy Link

Post by Sloppy Link » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:15 pm

Started on service....all going well right up to the point one of the bolts holding the oil filter cover wouldn’t budge. Ended up buggering the head. Drill. Easyout. Now got to find a local supplier to replace. Apart from that, service is going well, just not taking the half day I promised my wife it would take. She had to put the Xmas decorations by herself. Ho-hum.
0 x
‘13 KTM Adventure 1190
‘03 BMW F650GS
‘85 Armstrong MT500
‘67 Norton P11

Sloppy Link

Post by Sloppy Link » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Hurrah, Salisbury Plain test ride!
1 x
‘13 KTM Adventure 1190
‘03 BMW F650GS
‘85 Armstrong MT500
‘67 Norton P11

pop

Post by pop » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Mot looming...given the old girl a good looking over ..all seems ok and she's running great, ringing to book in tomorrow ..fingers crossed,,!,
0 x