ULEZ for MT500 & MT350

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Percy ingle

ULEZ for MT500 & MT350

Post by Percy ingle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:45 pm

The introduction of the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) in London generally means non-Euro 3 motorcycles face a daily charge of £12.50 to ride in the capital. It comes into force in central London in April 2019 and will be expanded to the North and South Circular ring roads in October 2021.

However, Biker & Bike has been made aware of a loophole in the ULEZ requirements. It came to light after the Motorcycle Action Group met with London Mayor Sadiq Khan and pushed for the concession. Motorcycles that emit lower emissions than the Euro 3 standard can avoid the charges if their owners provide Transport for London (TfL) with proof of the bike’s emissions.

The critical measure is the vehicle’s Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) value, which must be equal to, or less than, 0.15 grams per kilometre. If your vehicle’s emissions are lower than this limit, TfL will exempt your vehicle from paying the charge.

TFL is also aware vehicles manufactured before mandatory dates may also meet the standards. Therefore ULEZ will be enforced based on the declared emissions of the vehicle rather than the age. The vehicle conformity certificate contains the relevant emissions information.

‘…on receipt of evidence of the vehicles Euro standard, we would investigate further and where necessary amend our records to reflect the correct status of your vehicle.

‘In order to investigate compliance status of your vehicle we advise you to provide us with vehicle registration document (V5C) that contains the Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) value and Particulate matter (PM) value (if diesel), we can confirm the compliance status of your vehicle. Please check that the NOx and if applicable the PM value is recorded on the V5c, usually these are detailed in sections V.3 and V.5 respectively.

‘If these values are not recorded on the V5c you will need to provide a copy of the vehicle’s Conformity Certificate which you can obtain from the vehicle manufacturer. Alternatively, you may wish to contact the vehicle manufacturer’s homologation department. They will need to provide you with a letter signed by a named individual from the homologation department which contains the following information (a letter from customer services or a dealer will not be accepted):
– Vehicle registration mark (VRM)
– Vehicle identification number (VIN)
– Euro standard the vehicle was manufactured to – Fuel Type
– Nitrogen Oxides (NOx) value.’

Has anybody seen or have a copy of the Conformity Certificate for our bikes and does it contain the NOx value or do I have to go to Bow to get the test and pay £175 to find out if I can ride my bike after OCT 2021 ?? Note- standard MOT emission test equipment does not measure NOx !!
0 x

MTBrown

Re: ULEZ for MT500 & MT350

Post by MTBrown » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:39 pm

You can use the TFL checker to see whether a particular vehicle is ok. Compliance seems a little random. Last time I had the need to look into this for a BMW F650 Rotax single, some carb equipped earlier versions were ok but some later fuel injected versions were not.

You will only get a Certificate of Compliance if the bike was tested by the manufacturer for compliance against a EURO standard - unfortunately, all MT's pre-date this.

Based on the BMW experience, I think if someone produces compliant test results from an approved emission test centre then TFL will make all other bikes in that model and year compliant on their database. I've checked my MT's and none are compliant. So its likely you will need to pay the money and hopefully get some compliant emission results!
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:12 pm

As i found out this week chatting to another member , motorcycles over 40 years old are ULEZ charge exempt. ( Smoky old 2 strokes included 😷)

Early Armstrongs are only a few years away from exemption
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 -current project

Percy ingle

Post by Percy ingle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Yeah I know Historic vehicles are exempt from ULEZ (at the moment) as when I am in the mood I travel to work on my BSA Bantam!! I can’t wait for my MT500 to turn 40 so it might have to go late next year and be replaced with a 2007 carb Royal Enfield trials!! But if the government get there way ULEZ will be replaced with the congestion charge and a electric bike will be the way forward !!
0 x