Why do owners run MTs ?

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Wilf

Re: Why do owners run MTs ?

Post by Wilf » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:24 pm

Always liked the look of them. They don't make sense in any way, but I bought one off diesel Dave, then worried I should have bought a modem bike instead. Got it home to live alongside my PCP Africa twin.
Guess which one I still have? Every time I ride the Mt I enjoy it more, I've done lots of green laning which I never dared do with the Honda, and it just has a charm even trundling about at low speed. With the help of the forum I've even fixed a couple of things. Can't see myself ever parting company with it.
2 x

Korky

Post by Korky » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:03 pm

I started on British bikes, Commandos Triumphs etc, got my first Harley XLH 1000 in 1983 when I was 19. Then had around ten Evos. Sold my last big Harley around ten years ago. Then 3 years ago bought my HD 500.MT
Love it! I have washed it once in 3 years and ride it nearly every day. I'm not precious about the look of the bike at all. I think it looks more authentic dirty but I do keep it well maintained and tyred.
Makes a great every day ride and is totally classless, there's nothing pretentious about it at all. Its a tough reliable and fun bike to own. Every time I think about selling it I change my mind as I would not know what to replace it with, especially for the money.
0 x
H-D MT500
Land Rover Defender 300Tdi

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:30 pm

Korky wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:03 pm
Then 3 years ago bought my HD 500.MT
Love it! I have washed it once in 3 years and ride it nearly every day. I'm not precious about the look of the bike at all. I think it looks more authentic dirty but I do keep it well maintained and tyred.
The true authentic look for an HDMT500 is brand spanking new !
Had it been in UK service it would have been cleaned at least once a year for its annual inspection !

That said, I like your style , maintain the mechanical parts and you'll be fine. As a friend said to me about dusting furniture, 'Once the dust reaches an eigth of an inch it never gets any deeper ' 😊
0 x

bigfatcat

Post by bigfatcat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:00 pm

Can you suggest a better all round bike that can be
1. Properly green laned
2. Long distance toured across Europe
3. Worked on easily
4. Hooned down back lanes without a care for potholes, suspension is very good
5. Relied on (when sorted)
6. Dropped on black ice at speed, picked up, restarted and ridden without any damage
7. Parts available
8. Just generally good fun to ride and talk about
9. Looks better unwashed (unlike it's owner)

I've had mine for over 10 years and done all of the above.
I've had lots of other bikes including sports, and my mt500 is my favourite
I'm holding onto it as it still brings a grin on my ride to work
BFC
2 x
MT500
BSA B40 Trials
Kawasaki Z200
Velosolex 1700
Honda P50 and PA50

Sigean

Post by Sigean » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:39 pm

I bought my MT350 because I have always liked the 350cc class of bike and was (and am) convinced that this size of engine/bike is ideal for a lightweight tourer. The fact that the bike is ex-military also appealed, as military machinery design is all about "form fits function" which I find very attractive. Moreover, it came with the excellent front-mounted panniers (why aren't these an option on all touring/adventure bikes?), and a semi-matt paint finish. No glossy or shiny gewgaws to try to attract attention. But it attracts all the right attention - real motorcyclists come over to it and ask intelligent questions, not just the what'llitdo brigade. I have owned mine for only 18 months and, having stripped and renovated it, found it great for touring in Europe this summer. It does pretty much all I need, not least as the roads I choose for my travels all have an 80kph speed limit. More power would be nice, but I am reluctant to change the style and nature of the bike and will probably retain it in its current form. It seems to be pretty rugged, has fallen over twice and no damage done, and I can pick it up myself even with the luggage attached. Simple to work on and maintain, it seems to tick all my boxes. Nice bikes, fit for purpose.

Sigean
0 x
Sigean

MT350
CCM 404E
Honda XR400R
Suzuki DR350
Condor 350