What have you done to your MT today ? contd

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
ian

Re: What have you done to your MT today ? contd

Post by ian » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:13 pm

Could the foam soak up oil and catch fire🤔💥💥💥ian.
0 x
Mt 350 (the Expensive one) :lol:

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:26 pm

ian wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:13 pm
Could the foam soak up oil and catch fire🤔💥💥💥ian.
Flash point of typical MT oil is 220 C upwards. My guess is that the engine would have seized before the sump plate got anywhere near that
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:09 pm

ian wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:13 pm
Could the foam soak up oil.
It shouldn't be leaking oil.
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

ian

Post by ian » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:50 pm

If it's not leaking oil, then there can't be any left. :lol: :lol:
3 x
Mt 350 (the Expensive one) :lol:

Cato

Post by Cato » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:18 pm

Progress ground to a halt on the ET (going to get expensive), so that came off the bench and the 350 went on for a service. First thing of note was that the new rear tube seems to have split. :roll: So wheel off and chucked into the van so that I can get it sorted tomorrow (hopefully).

Load tested the battery, and that came up as at the end of its useful life so ordered another. Cam belt change showed the old one as in reasonable condition but flapping about like 20 year old knicker elastic. New one on and tensioned up nicely so on to the oil and filter change. Only drama there was the rounded frame drain bung, got it shifted and a new one ordered.

So it should be back on its wheels in a couple of days. I'll need it mobile for dropping off the pickup for its MOT, lift it on/off with the Hiab and then use it to run back. It'll be like a sh1t episode of Thunderbirds. :lol:
5 x
1928 Motoconfort (in boxes).
1934 Magnat Debon.
1957 Enfield Bullet 350.
1981 GSX 1100 ET.
1995 MT350.

Cato

Post by Cato » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Got the flat rear sorted today, there was a 1" panel pin in it! A pain after so little use, but sorted now with a new tube.
0 x
1928 Motoconfort (in boxes).
1934 Magnat Debon.
1957 Enfield Bullet 350.
1981 GSX 1100 ET.
1995 MT350.

Sloppy Link

Post by Sloppy Link » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:04 pm

Harrumph. Spurred on by another, I elected to remove the inner tube and then refit it just using the toolkit CES. Pinched the bloody thing at the valve so my spare had be used, the original irreparable. Valuable (if costly) exercise though.
0 x
‘13 KTM Adventure 1190
‘03 BMW F650GS
‘85 Armstrong MT500
‘67 Norton P11

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:49 pm

Sloppy Link wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:04 pm
Harrumph. Spurred on by another, I elected to remove the inner tube and then refit it just using the toolkit CES. Pinched the bloody thing at the valve so my spare had be used, the original irreparable. Valuable (if costly) exercise though.
A pair of 15 inch levers can be wrapped together and carried under the rear rack. They make it so much easier.

I like your style, you have absolutely no idea when and where you'll get a flat. Knowing that you have got suitable tools and that you can do it yourself is worthwhile. You also KNOW the state of your rim tapes, rim locks and tubes. I used to carry a small tub of tyre lube. Both tools and tyre lube have come in handy, when I have been miles off the roads covered by the RAC
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:04 pm

Started to replace the fork seals today on my MT500. I say started because it has so far been a straightforward but extremely grubby experience.

Near side fork leg is where the issue has been, I found muddy water in the gaiter not too long after I bought the bike... it had been 'properly' used off road before I got it. No biggie, drained the cr*p out checked the leg, all good. Then a short while ago I whizzed over some pretty rough ground when doing some work at the local clay shooting ground, when I got home I spotted oil seeping from the gaiter... so obvious solution, change the seals and dust covers.

Today was the day, so parts in hand and with a little assistance from a hammer and drift out came the n/s leg, cap removed and some increasingly burnt smelling oil tipped out... Slider and leg separated and ...oh! Lots of nasty oily muddy cr*ppy looking mess greeted me. Dust shield removed I slowly dug my way through mud and rust and after about 10 minutes cleaning and scraping managed to get the spring clip out and then the seal and the washer below.

There then followed lots of cleaning inside the leg. I put a bit of rag down the inside of the fork leg and eventually got all the black smelly sludge out of the bottom, more was in a jar where the oil from the bottom of the leg had been drained out, basically the leg was well overdue for a rebuild.

Time to reassemble and a quick clean of the lower washer before putting that back, drift in the new seal, 5 minutes with emery paper to clean up the spring clip and then we get to the top washer. After 10 minutes with emery paper and wire brush I have called the exercise off and ordered two new washers along with a couple of Dowty seals for the bottom bolts. If you are going to do it, do it properly.

So a few days wait now for the bits and we can finish the nearside fork leg... and then start on the offside.
1 x