For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Minter

Re: What have you done to your MT today ? contd

Post by Minter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:18 pm

NeilM wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:53 am
Minter wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 am
If it's a Mitas tyre from my old Army mate Gwyn they are made from a very stiff rubber and I need tyre levers! If it's a Michelin I can do them with my hands!!

We do a while you wait service on tyres and charge a tenner a tyre which is around £1 a minute!

Pop in next time you need one changing as I love changing tyres! :ugeek:
It is a Mitas E07 plus, so that is my excuse sorted, even 'The Iron Man' needs tyre levers to put a Mitas tyre on.

I would be happy to watch you at work with my wheel and tyre, but I'm afraid you are a fair old drive from W-s-M, so maybe another time.

I'm going to give it another go later and if I REALLY can't get the damn thing on, I will admit defeat and get it to the lads at the garage, I need an MOT far more than I need tired muscles.
No worries Neil, don't let the traveling put you off, Just had a lad from Eastbourne come and collect his bike and often get Dutch customers popping in!
1 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:22 pm

As mumbled by a great actor once "a man's got to know his limitations".

After another frustrating sweatfest in the garage, the wheel and tyre are now with the guys who did the MOT.

On the plus side, the front wheel is now back in place complete with nice new tyre.
1 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:01 pm

NeilM wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:22 pm
After another frustrating sweatfest in the garage, the wheel and tyre are now with the guys who did the MOT.

On the plus side, the front wheel is now back in place complete with nice new tyre.
Well done for giving it a good try. On the plus side, should you have a puncture whilst in the back of beyond, your back tyre shouldn't be quite as stiff after it has done a few miles.

On one MT I had, the rear tyre had an inner tube which was surrounded by an old inner tube. A military rider had clearly tried to stack the odds !
2 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:18 pm

I think some thinner 'spoon' type tyre levers might have helped, but I really wasn't getting anywhere and I know as a keen cyclist that getting tight fitting tyres onto the rims for the first time can sometime be a real challenge, so I decided to let the tyre machine take the strain instead.
0 x

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Right, that's it! Wheels are back on, chain is tensioned and we are good to go, the retest is on Monday.

The guys at RJ Motorcycles said the rear tyre was an absolute baaaaa, erm, a little tricky to get on, even with their machine, so, next time I will have to visit Minter, Man of Iron to see how it is done with two spoons nicked from the kitchen draw and a knowing grin.

I'll get a couple of photos of the new tyres when it's not pissing down with rain, they do look purposeful.
1 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:32 pm

NeilM wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:13 pm
Right, that's it! Wheels are back on, chain is tensioned and we are good to go, the retest is on Monday.

The guys at RJ Motorcycles said the rear tyre was an absolute baaaaa, erm, a little tricky to get on, even with their machine, so, next time I will have to visit Minter, Man of Iron to see how it is done with two spoons nicked from the kitchen draw and a knowing grin.

I'll get a couple of photos of the new tyres when it's not pissing down with rain, they do look purposeful.
Here's one of the twoI did last week! 10 minutes graft and they were good to go!

2 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

NeilM

Post by NeilM » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:48 pm

Minter wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:32 pm
Here's one of the twoI did last week! 10 minutes graft and they were good to go!

What can I say, you ARE a man of iron.
1 x

mt bandit

Post by mt bandit » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Today .I pulled the old girl to bits and waterproofed her . My bike on the other hand was a bit more tricky .boom boom ...
Tank off. Nice oxford heated grips fitted ..muffs added... acf sprayed all under the coil .etc one more job to do ...block off the front mud guard vents ...help keep the water out after literally nearly dying last Feb on the M20 in a torrential black night .
She is nearly winter battle ready for those winter rallies
1 x
Armstrong 600
500 outfit

Franc

Post by Franc » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:23 pm

mt bandit wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:08 pm
Today .I pulled the old girl to bits and waterproofed her . My bike on the other hand was a bit more tricky .boom boom ...
Tank off. Nice oxford heated grips fitted ..muffs added... acf sprayed all under the coil .etc one more job to do ...block off the front mud guard vents ...help keep the water out after literally nearly dying last Feb on the M20 in a torrential black night .
Break a leg. ;)
2 x

arceye

Post by arceye » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:13 pm

mt bandit wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:08 pm
I just put a pair of R&G heated grips on after the Oxford ones failed when I needed them most in the snow. Plus they are Ride recommended and only £35. :D
0 x
MT 405
Phil