Oil leak need advice

For all that relates to both Armstrong MT 500 and Harley Davidson MT 350
Daveofreading

Oil leak need advice

Post by Daveofreading » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:35 pm

I took the bike out today and realised when I got back I have got a slight oil leak it seems to be coming from where the clutch cable goes in to the side of the engine it's lot pouring out but weeping. I only done 30km and only going up to 50mph.
Iv taken a picture but no idea how to put it on here
Not just that it might be a good idea to no for future reference knowing how to post pictures
I'm hoping the oil leak is a easy fix it's the 1st time iv taken it out.
I was going to use it for work all week as I put a post on here say it takes time befor the clutch will work as it needs to worm up properly before the clutch even works. So got to be on tick over for at least 10 minutes.
Someone posted saying they don't like to be sat around so if I use it it might be ok.and sort its self out !! If I use it regular as I don't want to piss the next door neighbours off. As I've got to leave for work at 6am
As I wat to crank it up give it a cupple of minutes then go as it's not a quiet bike on tick over
But most important is oil leak
Might be seeking a mechanic on here to sort my clutch cage out if the clutch keep sticking!!!!!
I'd be grateful for replys regarding oil leak
Dave,,
0 x

Wirralman
Global Moderator

Re: Oil leak need advice

Post by Wirralman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:06 pm

Have a look at the underside of the left hand engine cover There is a small drain hole that often gets clogged up with mud

It can be hard to find first time but it IS there Once you find it , poke a cocktail stick into the mud and clear the hole This will relieve the pressure build up that causes oil to seep out of the top

Idling the air cooled engine to warm it up is not advisable

Taking off the engine cover , removing the clutch basket and filing out any ridges is straightforward I feel sure that Joth has produced an illustrated guide showing how to do it You should find it using the Search facility
0 x

Daveofreading

Post by Daveofreading » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:58 pm

I looked on the suppliers on this forum for a price on a clutch basket can't find one. The bike I got was made in Pennsylvania us. Neutral is a bit of a pig to find will this be down to the friction plates ???
Was hoping to get a good few miles out of this before I got tools out !!!!
This was supposed to have had an engine rebuild !!!!!!
Looking highly unlikely !!!!!
0 x

Priest

Post by Priest » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:32 pm

I don't suppose you could be a little less vague than, "under the left hand engine cover"....... I think mine might well have healed over or may just be a tad covert. : :?
0 x
Exemplo Ducemus

Wirralman
Global Moderator

Post by Wirralman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:47 am

Priest wrote:I don't suppose you could be a little less vague than, "under the left hand engine cover"....... I think mine might well have healed over or may just be a tad covert. : :?
Under the left hand engine cover is an area 3 inches by 12 or thereabouts Get a wet rag , clean off ALL of the mud and you will find a smooth casing with a 1/16 inch diameter muddy circle Poke the mud out of that circle There are those who have said that their bike doesn't have this feature, only to find that it was there after all but you do have to look. Put the bike on the centre stand, if you have blocks under the stand it may make it easier to see underneath
0 x

Wirralman
Global Moderator

Post by Wirralman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:13 am

Daveofreading wrote:I looked on the suppliers on this forum for a price on a clutch basket can't find one. The bike I got was made in Pennsylvania us. Neutral is a bit of a pig to find will this be down to the friction plates ???
Was hoping to get a good few miles out of this before I got tools out !!!!
This was supposed to have had an engine rebuild !!!!!!
Looking highly unlikely !!!!!
The bike was assembled in the US, the electrics and suspension are Italian , the engine Austrian, the design Italian modded by Brit modded by US

Your clutch problem is probably due to ridges in the clutch basket, which can be filed out The plates, friction and steel may be gummed up also but my money is on the basket New baskets are available as are clutch plates steel and friction, try a Wanted ad If your old basket has already been filed below tolerance limits However , removing the ridges should do the trick

I have advised you previously to change the oil That might make neutral selection easier .....
0 x

Wirralman
Global Moderator

Post by Wirralman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Try using the forum Search facility on the word Breather and separately on the word Drain

Also find Joth's excellent range of MT manuals and tutorials, including a clutch strip down guide
0 x

twmtomos1

Post by twmtomos1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:03 pm

you havent got to much slack in your clutch cable ,that might explain the clutch drag and on the clutch cable there is a small rubber O ring which if its worn can let oil past
0 x

Vtrsp1da

Post by Vtrsp1da » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:16 pm

You have. Pm
0 x