Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
K999jud

Post by K999jud » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:06 pm

Hello to all.

I'm in the process of purchasing my first MT, I'm looking at the 350 as I like the idea of electric start, although I'm ready for a kick start battle as often as it arrises.
I've seen a very nice looking bike not to far away, but its described as having "a slight oil leak".
Should I continue with this particular machine or head on elsewhere. I am aware that oil leaks are part of their charm but is it a good idea to take one on as a 1st time?
I've had a number of different bikes over the years and currently have a new vespa (also 1st time) which is totally reliable so the MT would be a labour of love. Advice very very welcome.
0 x

Wirralman

Re: New Member

Post by Wirralman » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:52 pm

Welcome to the forum
A 350 well set up , clean carb, clean electrical contacts etc will start on the kicker but I found it hit and miss- my poor technique I'm sure. On the button starts every time if battery is good ( They can eat batteries every couple of years, but not a major expense)

A declared slight leak ?, sounds huge to me but could just need a simple seal change

They don't normally leak oil, so not in my opinion part of their charm

Cavalry motto

'Look after your horse and your horse will look after you'

This applies to MTs Check out Technical section Initial Servicing Guide My MTs have always made it home. With poor maintenace, AA/RAC membership is essential

Help is at hand with Minter, who owns Sportax He not only services, repairs and upgrades these bikes, he also rides them.
0 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:35 am

Welcome to the forum!

If the oil leak is from a gasket or oil seal it's pretty straight forward to repair.. if it's a cracked case a bit more expensive but not the end of the world..

Id say go for it and get your first MT!

Gary
Sportax Racing
01952 850802
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Welcome to the club.

Most don't leak oil, but they are about 20 years old and it can happen for a variety of reasons, best to check carefully and pay according to your view. It can be just due to having been over-filled (a problem I think we have all had at some time) so best to try and see where it's coming from. High up is probably less of an issue than from around the casings. But be aware that any oil from the engine will usually collect in the bash-plate then drip off that when using the side stand.

I have had my engine stripped and rebuilt by Sportax, what they don't know about engines is not worth knowing.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

P.I.STAKER

Post by P.I.STAKER » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

i agree, go for it, you wont regret it

https://sites.google.com/site/gvsparts/
0 x
ARMSTRONG MT500 1984
BMW R1100S

K999jud

Post by K999jud » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:03 pm

Well unfortunately that bike wasn't the one. I'm keeping my eye open for the right bike, not too pretty but not battered either. You don't see that many coming from private sellers with knowledge. This is going to be a waiting game. Any top tips for finding a long term ride would be appreciated.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:09 pm

As you rightly say, a waiting game. I have seen or heard of a few who have bought in haste only to repent at leisure. You're doing the right thing by walking away from a duff bike
0 x