Greetings from Derby

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
Alex98

Greetings from Derby

Post by Alex98 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:42 am

Hi guys and gals, I'd like to say a big hello and just introduce myself. Im 20 and will be completing my A2 license at the end of the month, I've looked at every bike I can think of for years from plastic fantastics to choppers and everything in between but when my dad showed me the MT 500, at first I wasn't sure but when I started to read about them and their history I made my mind up I want a British bike and I want it to be a Armstrong. I love the look they have and the character it exudes plus I must admit knowing that she's a little older and needs some TLC excites me I've always been into fixing things and I'm currently trying to join the REME reserve which sounds great fun. I first got to hear about the MTs from my dad's colleague Gary Stayley and he recommended that I joined. I'll cut this here as not to put you all to sleep, look forward to hearing from you guys and gals soon. Alex
0 x

Priest

Re: Greetings from Derby

Post by Priest » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:56 am

Hi Alex, welcome to the club. You'll find loads of help and advice on here once you manage to find a bike. :twisted:
0 x
Exemplo Ducemus

Barrie

Post by Barrie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:31 am

Hi Alex.
Welcome to the forum.
I was 21 when I got my Armstrong. 27 now and I'm still in love with it :)
Hope you find one soon. If you need any advice just ask.

Barrie
0 x
MT500 "Le Shuttle" In memory of Jim Burns
Jawa CZ 125
Need help uploading photos onto the forum?
click here

Force Motorcycles

Post by Force Motorcycles » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:57 am

Welcome to the forum, Alex!

We're just down the road so let us know if there's anything we can help with :D

Force
0 x
Force Motorcycles - The World's Largest MT350 and MT500 Parts Dealer

The UK's Exclusive and Official ROTAX Parts Dealer

:arrow: Visit Our Online Store

:arrow: Follow Force Motorcycles on Facebook!

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:46 pm

Welcome Alex,
I wouldn't get too hung up on the British bike thing. Armstrong bought SWM (Italian), tweaked things a little and produced the MT500 -engine Rotax- Austria, shocks neither front nor back are British, electrics Italian

Life as a reservist has changed since my day, I well remember being shadowed by a Russian vehicle, being buzzed by a Buccaneer 100 feet above me covering us all in jet fumes, and trying to hide from a helicopter which was attacking me. Great fun . I took my hat off to REME guys who changed my broken bevel box whilst lying on a tarp in pouring rain, but for me the sharp end was more attractive

If you get an MT, the smart move is to go through it thoroughly. If you do it will just keep on running, if you don't, always have your RAC card with you ( be aware they won't recover you off road)
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:15 pm

Wirralman wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:46 pm
I wouldn't get too hung up on the British bike thing.
You got away with it for 2 hours and 4 minutes before Eric burst your bubble.

You'd be better off buying a 'proper' British bike.

Welcome anyway.
1 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

Minter

Post by Minter » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:19 pm

Welcome to the forum Alex,

I think you'll love owning an MT and joining the reserves!

I did 24 years as a regular and got to know these bikes well! If you need any help just give us a call..

Gary
Sportax Racing
01952 850802
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:51 am

Welcome Alex, and hope you get your licence sorted this month.

If you are interested in using spanners and the occasional time with a multi-meter, then the MT is a good choice as well as being fun to ride on and off the tarmac. if you are planning on joining REME reserve then an MT should be fun on all accounts.

Like the traditional British bikes, they don't require special tools unless you take the engine apart. So it's not difficult to service or strip the whole bike down and rebuild. They are over-engineered, so relatively heavy compared with new enduro bikes, but will take abuse and keep going (easy to fix). Capable at doing most things but not the best at anything.

They have an international pedigree as many bike designs have. The original design is Italian, with an Austrian engine. The MT500 was built at Bolton by Armstrong-CCM, I had a visit to their factory when I was OC of a TA workshop near Manchester, where they built a range of enduro bikes based on the SWM bikes. As they were a small company, they made the frames but bought in most of the other parts.

The MT350 was the Mark 2 version, main difference was a starter motor and disc brakes. This time the US military had an interest and Armstrong sold the design to H-D. HD made the frames and bought in the ancillaries, using the same basic engine with different bore and stroke as well as the starter and carb.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300