Looking at buying an Armstrong

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
Mike123

Looking at buying an Armstrong

Post by Mike123 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:09 am

Hi - new to this site. I am looking to buy an Armstrong - so thought I should join. Interested in all sorts of bikes - currently have a GS100 and old Velocette Valiant but looking to expand my fleet with an Armstrong!
0 x

Minter

Re: Looking at buying an Armstrong

Post by Minter » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:46 am

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum, check out the for sale section as bikes often appear for sale there from members before going to eBay ext..

Good luck..

Gary
Sportax Racing
01952 850802
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

highland al

Post by highland al » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:16 am

Welcome to the forum Mike
From the highlands.
Hal
0 x

Easystart

Post by Easystart » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi Mike,
I think an Armstrong would fit in very well between your other 2,bikes, I've had a standard 500 for just over 3 years now ( so still a newbie) great all round bikes,
My advice for what it's worth is pay the extra money ( if you can ) and get an electric start bike 350 or 500? ,
The left hand kickstart is just so unnatural if you've been bought up on a right hand kicker, 3 years in I thought I would get used to it or master the technique,
Nope, after a couple of weak, amateur left leg kicks , I find myself jumping off and using my right leg.
If you can't run to an electric start get the best 500 you can , enjoyment amusement and hilarity guaranteed
0 x

Force Motorcycles

Post by Force Motorcycles » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:57 pm

Welcome to the forum Mike :)

Force
0 x
Force Motorcycles - The World's Largest MT350 and MT500 Parts Dealer

The UK's Exclusive and Official ROTAX Parts Dealer

:arrow: Visit Our Online Store

:arrow: Follow Force Motorcycles on Facebook!

Bonnielad
Global Moderator

Post by Bonnielad » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Welcome aboard. See if you can make it to one of our events - then you will really learn plenty. :lol:
0 x
1985 Armstrong MT500 "Black Bomber"'
1964 Triumph Tiger Cub TR20 Trials Works Replica
2019 Honda CB500X

Will

Post by Will » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:56 am

Hi mike from another newbie.
I just bought a 350 with full service history since it left service in 09 .at a bargain price.
I’m sorting it out at the moment with the help of the forum .
You may want to consider buying from a competent club member who has maintained their own machine .
The professional clowns that serviced my bike for the previous owner have left a legacy of unchanged seals and gaskets patched up with silicone . gobs the size of a peanut in the sump along with bits of engine casing that have been pushed off by too long Allan screws .add helicoils and stripped threads. Miss aligned lock washer on clutch .skid plate hanging loose. And all the from a dealership for top price .
That said I’m loving the bike and once the back firing and stalling when cold issue is sorted will be even more chuffed .
Best of luck in your new venture Will
1 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:00 am

As per Will, I bought one MT on ebay, it had five years dealer service history When I got it home, I took off the almost new front tyre and found a rim tape which was more gaffa tape than rubber, and an old tube. The rear was similar but the T63 had multiple cracks all round. Another MT had its primary filter clogged with swarf. A third MT, from a military disposal agency and not sold as a runner , had the sump plug under the seat and no oil strainer above the sump.

I did compile a list of things to check based on owners' experience , I think you'll find it pinned at the top of the General section. Use the manuals as your guide and check out Joth's tutorials
0 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:51 pm

Welcome Mike, an Armstrong will certainly be a contrast to the GS100 and old Velocette Valiant. Once you get an MT, the others won't be used much :)
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300