Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
Derrick
Global Moderator

Re: New member

Post by Derrick » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Welcome fafs, as hounddog said, they are not smooth and silky engines. Some are noisier than others, but as long as it's running OK and has oil then it should be fine.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

fafs

Post by fafs » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:59 pm

Thanks i am now quite happy with the engine noise, it seems normal !!! It starts great when warm but needs about 10 kicks when cold
0 x

gegdonnell

Post by gegdonnell » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi and welcome, you have to develop the knack to kick start an Armstrong, my MT 350 comes with electric as well as a kick start.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:10 pm

gegdonnell wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:36 pm
Hi and welcome, you have to develop the knack to kick start an Armstrong, my MT 350 comes with electric as well as a kick start.
It's worth MT350 owners practicing their kickstarting technique though, for the day your battery suddenly expires
0 x

twmtomos1

Post by twmtomos1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:50 pm

for newbies its worth knowing the little window in the cambelt cover /the white dot, is when you kick start ,thats why its there,makes starting easy ,good luck
0 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:56 am

Welcome to the forum fafs

Gary
Sportax Racing
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

fafs

Post by fafs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:56 pm

Minter wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:56 am
Welcome to the forum fafs

Gary
Sportax Racing
Cheers Minter
1 x

Daysmith

Post by Daysmith » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi, I recently bought a Mt500 from nice chap in Scotland... got a good price because it's got a white smoke problem. Otherwise excellent condition.

I'm in the process of mildly customising... junked the headlight and brick like binnacle made a replacement, wanting to put a larger front hub on..nearly ran into a fence coming down my lane ! I'll post some photos tomorrow.

But back to that smoke..... thinking either stem oil seals or piston rings ? Will be doing a compression test ... does another know what figure would be healthy ? Circa 160 ? Also can head be removed without taking engine out...looks tight !

Any advice would be welcome...thanks for letting join

Regards Paul
0 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi Paul,

Your best putting your questions in relevant section as welcome posts get culled after time.. technical sections are saved and can be found easily..

Stem seals would smoke blue on start up then clear. Blue smoke on over run is oil control ring, blue smoke all the time is worn out rings, pidton and cylinder or head gasket leaking oil into combustion chamber.

Motor has to come out to remove head.

You'll be lucky to get anywhere near 160psi by kicking but 120 would be ok.

Hope that helps

Gary
Sportax Racing
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Daysmith

Post by Daysmith » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:28 am

Hi Gary, Thanks for your reply. No smoke on start up....appears to be white smoke once rev d hardish... thinking it might be the mixture, previous owner did fit a new carb....but I'll start with comp test.

Thanks again

Actually it is leaking some oil on cylinder head gasket area ..... taking the engine out has dampened the spirits a bit !
0 x