MT350 says hello from Cornwall

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
Answer42

MT350 says hello from Cornwall

Post by Answer42 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 am

Hi all

Had to sign up to use the search.

I'm currently looking to see if I specifically needed 91 RON fuel, or whether it doesn't matter using the standard 95/97 RON.

The MT350 has been loaned to me to cover the next xx months while I get out of a SHTF situation. It also allows me to begin an engineering degree starting in October.

Wish me luck and thanks for the help everyone! :)
0 x

Wirralman

Re: MT350 says hello from Cornwall

Post by Wirralman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:47 am

You can run on standard fuel with no problem, the spec is the minimum octane rating recommended with standard set up
1 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Just a thought, the procedure is to start the bike using the enrichener ( You don't have a choke), then ride off straight away. The first 3 to 5 miles may be needed before the engine gets warm enough to run without enrichener

Also, don't rely on the reserve when using the fuel tap, MTs have little , if any reserve. Those who get caught out end up tipping their bikes over to try to get to remnants of fuel in the tank. For me the best way is to reset the trip when filling up and refuel after running x km , x can vary according to useage and carb/engine efficiency
0 x

lardmarc

Post by lardmarc » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Answer42 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 am
Wish me luck and thanks for the help everyone! :)
Fill it up with anything petrolly and ride it, it'll be fine.

Cool monicker. ;)
0 x
“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.” (Adams, 2009).

hounddog
Global Moderator

Post by hounddog » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi and welcome ,
normal common or garden standard unleaded is fine

Ian
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e
Armstrong MT500 - next project

P.I.STAKER

Post by P.I.STAKER » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:31 pm

0 x
ARMSTRONG MT500 1984
BMW R1100S

Answer42

Post by Answer42 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:00 am

Hello and thanks for the help!

All's going swimmingly, minus some teething issues with the electrics (stored for a while, needed a replacement L/H switch unit).

The enricher I sussed out yesterday, took a couple of junction cutouts to realise it likes to die if it's still at full/half when warmed up :P ... I can see why people had issues not knowing about these things! It's odd getting used to the whole "get going asap or you'll do more harm than good" compared to any other bikes where I warm up for 5'ish minutes before riding away!

So my next thing, something I've never considered before, is greenlaning... I've always been a sportsbike person so it'll be interesting giving my body a full workout picking it up a few hundred times after dropping it :D

Cheers all!
2 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:30 am

You won't do any permanent harm by not riding straight away, but you do run the risk of foulng the plug, the engine cutting out then not wanting to start

Clearly you've taken the advice. Some new owners have reported prroblem with stalling and when advised to ride off straight away to avoid problems have said ' I always start my bikes then put my helmet and gloves on and have done so for years, so why should I change '

The standard No 40 pilot jet can be replaced by a 42 to reduce warm up time

Be aware , green landing can put more stress on tubes, so if they are old, they may fail. Always carry the tools to remove your wheels and tubes together with a pump A manual pump takes more effort than an 12v electrical pump. Ideally carry a spare 21 inch tube, it will fit the 18inch wheel to get you home.

Also, always carry WD40

My advice- practice this at home first. I think it's a lot easier changing tyres with the MT on a centre stand, even if you have to find a couple of pieces of wood to put underneath to provide enough clearance. NB The standard tyre levers are very short, buy some slightly longer ones to strap on under the rear rack

If you can get rid of water and fix a puncture, your all set ( The RAC man won't get his van down green lanes) If it were me I'd renew tubes and rim tapes before I did the lanes.

Fit a new cambelt and carry the old one as a spare
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:43 am

Fit a new clutch cable and keep old one on the bike as a spare ( they can snap at the lever end without warning )
0 x

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Wirralman wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:43 am
Fit a new clutch cable and keep old one on the bike as a spare ( they can snap at the lever end without warning )
and carry a spare cam belt, they are easy to replace in the field, but make sure it's a proper one for the bike and not a cheap one for small machine tools.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300