Intro

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
macky42

Re: Intro

Post by macky42 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm

Well after initial doubts about finding a suitable project within budget, I found ways to stretch it a bit and have had a look at a couple of MT350s this week, with the result that Anyvan will be calling next Tuesday with a new toy for me.
The bike I've picked is a runner, it has had a fair bit of work done on the mechanics but there's scope for cosmetic tidying which should keep me happy for a while. :D
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:02 pm

Good to hear you've found a bike

I'd advise that you check out the mechanical side for yourself Tyres, tubes, rim tapes, caliper clean, pads, earthing points, electrical connectors, clutch cable renew ( leave old one routed and taped up as a spare), clean rear brake master and check adjustment. Engine wise- 3 oil filters, non-return valve, spark plug Grease main and side stand springs

You may find it beneficial to go through your entire fuel system, cleaning it out starting at the fuel cap breather and ending with the engine ( tanks and fuel taps often have rust in them) Also chain and sprockets are worth checking for wear

Your choice entirely, but I'd suggest checking over these things first

Always carry a spare tube ( front will fit back in emergency), the tools to change a tyre at the roadside (Tyreweld mightn't work too well )

There is no 'right' cosmetic scheme, nor a documented 'correct' colour

Enjoy your new bike
0 x

macky42

Post by macky42 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Thanks, sounds like a good plan.
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:18 pm

One more thing, if it doesn't have a standard toolkit with it, see if you can get hold of them Some don't bother but then find themselves in need of a vital tool at the roadside Many are standard items you'll probably have

For MT spares or tools, post a Wanted ad on the forum

NB For maintenance there's only one imperial socket required, a deep 9/16 socket for the primary oil filter Rarely need to check this but I have certainly taken one out and found it clogged with swarf
0 x

Deaftrev

Post by Deaftrev » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:57 pm

Hiya all, I'm hoping to be an owner of a mt350 soon, its to go with my military land rover lightweight but I am still yearn for a bombardier as that would be the right era but I love the look of the mt. Just got to find a way to lower the suspension a tad!
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Deaftrev wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:57 pm
Hiya all, I'm hoping to be an owner of a mt350 soon, its to go with my military land rover lightweight but I am still yearn for a bombardier as that would be the right era but I love the look of the mt. Just got to find a way to lower the suspension a tad
You can slide the front forks through the yoke to drop up to 4 inches, fit shorter 500 rear shocks to lose 1.5 inches, resculpt saddle to lower 1 inch Chose tyres with lowest sidewall All of these are quick to do and easy

An MT500 would be closer age wise to the Airportable but why not buy a Canam- chronologically better and is lower The Canam dealers would be happy to help I'm sure
0 x

macky42

Post by macky42 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Wirralman wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm
You can slide the front forks through the yoke to drop up to 4 inches
Yeah I noticed on the one I bought the forks have been dropped about 1 1/2 inches, I'm 6'1" so they may go back up. Does it affect the steering much? Maybe a bit quicker with the forks dropped, or not noticeable?
0 x

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:13 pm

macky42 wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:31 pm
Wirralman wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:17 pm
You can slide the front forks through the yoke to drop up to 4 inches
Yeah I noticed on the one I bought the forks have been dropped about 1 1/2 inches, I'm 6'1" so they may go back up. Does it affect the steering much? Maybe a bit quicker with the forks dropped, or not noticeable?
I'm same height as you, kept my forks as standard but did add some bar risers to raise bars an inch so not hunched over. Risers and probably the longer bolts needed are available thru George, PI Stalker No other adjustments required just bolt on
0 x