Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
Shane board

Post by Shane board » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi I’m Shane I’ve just got Armstrong mt500 that needs some work but it should be good fun if I can start it ha ha!! I’ve started it 3 times so far but I will find the best way
0 x

Priest

Re: New member

Post by Priest » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Welcome on board shane
0 x
Exemplo Ducemus

Force Motorcycles

Post by Force Motorcycles » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Welcome to the forum, Shane!

Force
0 x
Force Motorcycles - The World's Largest MT350 and MT500 Parts Dealer

The UK's Exclusive and Official ROTAX Parts Dealer

:arrow: Visit Our Online Store

Follow Force Motorcycles on Facebook!

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:39 pm

Welcome Shane, I'm sure you will soon be an expert at starting your MT. a couple of hints are to make sure no one is watching and to make sure you are not in a hurry to get somewhere.The only think worse than those is to boast that it starts 1st kick.

You will find plenty of info here. There are few issues that have not been discussed in depth, including kick-starting an MT.
1 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

P.I.STAKER

Post by P.I.STAKER » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi Shane and welcome to the forum

Its just a matter of finding the right technique

https://sites.google.com/site/gvsparts/
0 x
ARMSTRONG MT500 1984
BMW R1100S

Shane board

Re: Progress

Post by Shane board » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Got the old girl started tonight after doing the valve clearances and playing with dellorto 34 carb still easier to start my triumph tr6c.but it’s running better and starts up after a couple of kicks,loads to do on it clutch heavy as hell supposed to have new clutch plates in it.thanks for everybody’s replies
0 x

Minter

Post by Minter » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:05 am

Hi Shane,

Welcome to the forum - great choice in MT! Glad you've sussed the starting. The delly carb is the best carb for these engines.

Might be worth checking your clutch over - a new cable routed correctly often works wonders, but I have come across engines with small valve springs for clutch springs which you need 2 hands to pull in the clutch! Not the best mod in the world ive come across! You should be able to operate the clutch with one finger!

Gary
Sportax Racing
0 x
SPORTAX Racing ROTAX
http://www.sportaxracing.co.uk
MTRC Shopkeeper
http://sportaxracing.co.uk/product-category/mtrc-shop/
Manuals & Technical Publications on above MTRC shop link

Wirralman

Post by Wirralman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:16 am

Good to hear that you are making progress The clutch will possibly benefit from new springs Check the length and tolerance in the manual.

You can buy replacement springs from the usual MT suppliers or get them made up locally to your specification If you consider the cost of the springs plus postage, there is little difference in price . I had them made 20% lighter on one MT with no adverse effects

You may also wish to fit a new clutch cable ( they snap at the handlebar end with no warning), leaving, as a spare, your old cable taped up and protected against the weather.

Clutch lever mechanisms can also wear, they look ok but you can notice a difference if you fit a new lever and pivot bolt

Obvious really but it's worth checking that you have the right number of clutch friction plates and steels (some owners have discovered to their horror that some have gone awol or are the wrong thickness) As for the plates themselves, the usual tolerance checks of course

NB This is the Welcome section of the forum, and is auto-erased after a short time Post any technical queries in the appropriate section and the question/ responses are preserved

A post in the Wanted section is worthwhile, someone may have spares surplus to requirements
0 x

twmtomos1

Post by twmtomos1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 am

welcome to the club,i had a really heavy clutch turned out to be the cable,good luck
0 x

Shane board

Made a bit more progress tonight

Post by Shane board » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks for your helpful replies.ive stared it up tonight and took for a short ride up the field great fun and feels quite torquey so after picking it up last Friday I’m well pleased with the progress,its had new friction plate apparently but I will take it apart and check the spring and cable mechanism.i think the release bearing is making a noise because when you pull the clutch in it quiets down is this correct thanks again!
0 x