New forum member and MT350 owner

Before you can go any further, you must make an short introductory post here. Once you have done that you will get full access.
Forum rules
Please write a quick introduction. Which MT do you have or which one are you yearning for!....

Once we have been introduced, one of the admin team will upgrade your registration to standard.

Please note that if you are joining only to sell something, even if its an MT, you MUST ask first or your post will be deleted.

All new members are required to complete their locations (approximate) in your Profile and you are welcome to add your position in the 'Phoogle' map. Full instructions below.

Users who post less than 1 post per month may find their registration removed, this is our housekeeping not being militant!

Persevere - we're worth it!

Any probs or questions, please email us using the 'Contact Us' button at the top of your page.
josh2503

New forum member and MT350 owner

Post by josh2503 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Hello all,

After fancying an MT for a while I've finally bought a 1995 350. Was registered 2010. In very good condition compared to most I've seen although it has been to an extent restored.

Joined this forum as I'm hoping it will be a good place to learn more about the bike, including any common problems and best practice maintenance procedures.

Couple of initial queries:

The rear end seems awfully firm for a bike I thought was designed to have at least some off-road capability; perhaps I just need to check/adjust the shocks although it does look like they're 'backed right off' already I.e. lowest spring preload.

Seems to pop / bang on deceleration when off the throttle, is this normal? Would generally lead me to think the air/fuel mixture is too lean. As far as I'm aware and can see everything is standard as far as carburetion and exhaust go. I did think I seen the spark arcing from the plug cap to engine case but was hard to tell for certain, perhaps this could be causing the popping / banging?

How do I check the oil? With it being in the frame I wondered if I should be checking it immediately after having ran the engine / when engine is at operating temperature?

Minor thing but the trip numbers on the speedo are missing, a common problem? Or so I've been told.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

hounddog
Global Moderator

Re: New forum member and MT350 owner

Post by hounddog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:15 pm

Hi and welcome
Trip is a common weakness, not really fixable
Plug cap arcs if it is metal, if so bin it and get a plastic one.
Check oil only when warm after a run, if you do it cold you will overfill and that's messy! .
Popping could be a leak in exhaust . also check rubbers either end of carb

Hope that helps
0 x
Ian
------------------------------------

Harley Davidson MT350e
Armstrong MT500e

Wirralman
Global Moderator

Post by Wirralman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Rear end is firm as standard Rear pegs are there to allow 2 up riding in emergency Some have sold their bikes because they are too stiff, others fitted different shocks built to suit their weight

You can richen the mixture by removing the carb blanking plug and adjusting by 1/4 turn ( much more than that and it will bog) First step is to make sure the carb is clean throughout, rubber in diaphram and accelerator pump aren't floppy Rubber airbox to carb gets hot and becomes stiff Carb to engine rubber can perish Even when clean a standard 350 will still pop a little
0 x

Priest

Post by Priest » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:26 am

Hello and welcome. Listen to the wise old sages on here, they have unlimited knowledge into the dark side of MT's and will guide you to the path of big beaming smiles. :twisted:
0 x
Exemplo Ducemus

Force Motorcycles

Post by Force Motorcycles » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi Josh, welcome to the world of the MT350! :D

To concur with previous posts, popping on over-run isn't really normal, check condition of carb rubbers and exhaust joints. The carbs do not age well, but once they are sorted, they are OK.

Hagon shocks might well be softer, we have not had a huge amount of experience with these, but have seen plenty of bikes with them.

Thanks,

Force
0 x
Force Motorcycles - The World's Largest MT350 and MT500 Parts Dealer

:arrow: Our New Online Store

Follow Force Motorcycles on Facebook!

Derrick
Global Moderator

Post by Derrick » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Welcome Josh. I see you have been given the main things to look at for the engine popping. I had it occur when the headers were not fully tightened.

These are used frequently off-road with the standard shocks, but some owners have changed them. It is built to take a big soldier with all his kit and weapon, and the military spec includes the ability to take a second person in an emergency, that will be when the alternative is running from the enemy. So they are probably a lot firmer than a modern off-roader designed for just a rider.
0 x
1997 HD MT350
2002 Honda Pan European 1300

Bunker
Site Admin

Post by Bunker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Welcome mate, please make use of the relevant techincal sections for such questions as the answers will be recorded there for future use.
Cheers
0 x
HD MT500e 'Bunk'
HD MT604e MTourer project

You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

josh2503

Post by josh2503 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses, much appreciated. Got a bit of free time this afternoon so going to familiarise myself with the bike a bit more and check everything over properly.

Force Motorcycles - I intend to use the bike for riding some green lanes, technically not off-road but certainly off-tarmac, so it may be that I find the rear end too firm. I will probably be in touch if this is the case regarding some replacement shocks.

Thanks,
Josh
0 x

Wirralman
Global Moderator

Post by Wirralman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:23 pm

If you look in the Frame Suspension area of the Technical section you may find that you are not the first to ask about softening the suspension
0 x